No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Round clear, 1.5 cm (5/8") "Made in Poland" label  (Read 7556 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Round clear, 1.5 cm (5/8") "Made in Poland" label
« on: January 12, 2019, 02:45:59 AM »
I picked up a blue glass (bud?) vase  today with clear glass applied handles. It is not signed but has a clear, round label about 1.5 cm in diameter with a small "Made in Poland" inscription in black all capital letters. It is heavy, but I don't think it is crystal, just thick glass. Looks to be blown glass with a hot worked pontil. Does anyone know which Polish glass maker used this label? The vase is 14 cm (5 3/4") high and about 7.6 cm (3") at its widest point. It is pear shaped with a wide rim and is apparently cased as the base is clear glass.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Round clear, 1.5 cm (5/8") "Made in Poland" label: images
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Adding images.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Round clear, 1.5 cm (5/8") "Made in Poland" label
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:55:42 PM »
No "one company" used a label like that, it's more of an importer's label, indicating country of origin.
Tracking down a maker from Poland is difficult. There was a large area which had a lot of different makers in Krosno, and you'll sometimes find really good quality work with a label saying that, but that will be older. Around the beginning of the '00s, an importing company, LSA, started bringing a lot of contemporary decorative wares from Poland into the uk and elsewhere, and that's where you'll find these round sticky plastic Made in Poland stickers. You might even find one with LSA on it.

Having said all that, I've never seen anything with applied handles like that, with these labels on and they surprise me.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 05:31:02 PM »
Thanks, Sue. It is a nice little piece. I figured it might be modern florist glass, but most of that glass in the US is Made in China.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 07:12:13 PM »
Polish glass is good quality.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline VelmaDoo

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Poland
    • Website planning
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »
Hello,
I looks like something straight from the 80s. I remember my grandmother having a flower pot very similar to this one. I don't think it was exactly the same because although the color and shape on general look spot on, there was no Made in Poland stamp and I am pretty sure my grandfather said he bought it in the Czech Republic. Blur glass decorations likes vases, bowls etc were highly in demand. Of course it may be just nostalgia talking through me as I fondly think about my childhood yet it was long time ago. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I will however ask my Mom if she remembers.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »
Thanks for your comment VelmaDoo! I look forward to hearing what your mother thinks!

Offline PK.Branicki

• Members
    • Poland European Glass
    • Poland
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2021, 08:17:39 PM »
It can be: Makora glass from Korosno, or glassworks in Tarnowiec Poland.
 google try: "tarnowiec wazon"
Vase-Wazon

Offline Olaaa

• Members
    • Polska

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 02:41:24 PM »
 ;D Dziękuję Ci Olaaa! Welcome to the board.

Also, Dziękuję Ci to PK Branicki, and Welcome to the board.   ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand