No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: History glass industry  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Christine

• Members
History glass industry
« on: August 14, 2006, 10:51:45 AM »
Can anyone help me locate copies of the following for research on my Ma / PhD relating to industrial dispute in the glass industry 1870-1900.

Pressed Glassmakers Friendly Society of Great Britain Quaterly reports up to 1892? thought to originate around 1872.

Glass Circle papers

Any thing else any one may consider relevent would be gratefully received.

thanks Christine  :D
ragments of the history of glass slip through our fingers and are lost forever every day.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
History glass industry
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 02:56:19 PM »
Christine,

Look for T.C.Barker's 'The Glassmakers', pub. Weidenfeld & Nicholson, as this covers the history of Pilkington from 1826-1976 including the period you require and mentions of Chance Brothers inevitably crop up. Also my book, but it's not out yet :wink:

Email me if you'd like me to offer more advice.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Christine

• Members
no luck
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 10:13:48 AM »
:roll: A2A show nothing at all not even the ones that I know are in Tyne and Wear Archive, the problem is not everything is electronicaly  recorded yet, so they are probably lurking some where in a local archive and I will only find them on a card search.  I was hoping some one else may have already used them and be able to point me in the right direction, as they are frequently referenced in old books but I just dont know where they got them from.  Yes I already have the Pilkington Book which is interesting thank you.  I have done British Museum /Copec searches and all the web searches I can think of.

They are out there some where but where?  
Thanks Christine
ragments of the history of glass slip through our fingers and are lost forever every day.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
History glass industry
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 10:49:21 AM »
Christine,

Are you specifically looking for information relating to pressed glass, as mentioned in your profile, or an overall view of the glass industry?

I do go to Himley Hall (Broadfield House archives) on a regular basis so can ask there if this helps. If there are any particular publications, BH may just have them although the museum is more geared towards Stourbridge glass.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: History glass industry
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:35:41 PM »
Quote from: "Christine"
Pressed Glassmakers Friendly Society of Great Britain Quaterly reports up to 1892? thought to originate around 1872.

Christine, Check the holdings of the Modern Records Centre at Warwick University... they hold the records of many trades unions and friendly societies.

If they don't have them they may be able to tell you who does... I found them very helpful when looking for Farriers Records some years ago.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/library/mrc/holdings/holdings/
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
History glass industry
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 03:43:20 PM »
Spoke to Roger Dodsworth from Broadfield and will be meeting him at Himley tomorrow.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline ChrisStewart

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.cloudglass.com
History glass industry
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 04:09:40 PM »
Hi,

when I was researching Davidson Glass a history, I tried the TUC library, but they did not have any records and refered me to Warwick library. The Warwick library does not have any documents relating to the North -East glass industry.

The Pressed Glassmakers Friendly Society of Great Britain Quaterly reports were loaned to TWAS by one of the former members of that union. Perhaps TWAS are still able to contact him or his family. They may have more information on the union.

Workers at the Bagley glass company were part of this union and there are records of Bagleys at the Pontifract museum. It is probably worth giving them a ring.

Regards

Chris
from Chris Stewart

http://www.cloudglass.com - The Cloud Glass Reference Site
http://www.davidson-glass.com - Information on Davidson Glass

All images (c) Chris and Val Stewart unless otherwise stated

Offline Christine

• Members
Industrial action
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 05:21:57 PM »
I am looking for any reference to industrial action in the glass industry and am particularly interested in the pressed glass indusry in the North East.  So working conditions or management reports, minutes rather than methods or glass catalogues.  
I am going to Warwick next week as there are some bottlemakers union papers there.  
TWAS have the Pressed gassmakers frendly society reports on film but only 1892 onwards and the first twenty years are missing.  They say they have no idea where the rest are if they exist at all.  None were listed in the main catalogue or on line at A2A which makes me suspect there could be more somewhere unlisted as at TWAS. They were given out to the members and there were several hundred members in North East England and Glasgow.
Any one know anything about the Glass Circle Reports? I have found reference to industrial conditions but I cannot trace the reports.

Thanks Christine :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
History glass industry
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 05:26:21 PM »
I would expect those to be at Broadfield house but you can usually find copies on Abebooks too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand