No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Perthshire annual weight?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Perthshire annual weight?
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:40:23 PM »
So far I have failed to find another example of this design, so guess the first question is was it made by Perthshire?

Also wondering if the technique of sticking canes on the outside like this has a name?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: Perthshire annual weight?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:30:08 PM »
Hi John

Yes it IS Perthshire and  it was issued by them in 1991 as an annual collection weight 1991B Encased closepack.
It was obviously a popular design as it was limited to 300 copies and 300 were made.

It is an unusual design in that the latticinio rods around the outside are not fully encased.
If they were fully encased then that is known as a basket.

Whether the technique used in this weight has a different name I don't know but there is no reference
to this technique in the Perthshire reference books I own.

Hope this helps

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Perthshire annual weight?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 08:21:57 AM »
Brilliant Derek thank you, that definitely helps! I did wonder about basket as a description but it did not seem to be quite right, if it was Italian it might be called something along the lines of 'filagrana cordonati'.

Interesting that it was popular, I find it tactile and visually appealing, the gentleman who sold it to me was very fond of it too but needed to make space in his collection for new purchases.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand