No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: HMS Victory cranberry tumbler  (Read 1427 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
HMS Victory cranberry tumbler
« on: January 25, 2019, 02:51:03 PM »
This is,to my mind,a interesting little thing,on the bottom it has 'made in Bohemia',which may date it more accurately than just late Victorian.I'm wondering if it would have come into this country as blanks with just the enamel white dots and then the acid etching(I think)being done here and sent to whoever wanted to sell some souvenirs? Any thoughts.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: HMS Victory cranberry tumbler
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 03:37:38 PM »
It was probably all done in Bohemia as a commission - much cheaper

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 04:26:55 PM »
That would make sense,I wonder if they had stalls by the victory in Portsmouth then,or this type of thing was seen all over the country.I would think most of the Victory souvenirs from their shop today are from China,if they have a shop.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 11:37:32 PM »
... on the bottom it has 'made in Bohemia', ...
It also seems to have some letters below the word "Bohemia" - can you check that please.

... which may date it more accurately than just late Victorian. ...
See my comments below.

I'm wondering if it would have come into this country as blanks with just the enamel white dots and then the acid etching(I think)being done here and sent to whoever wanted to sell some souvenirs?
The enamel dots are covering parts of the the "etching".

As for date - I find most of this type of decor hard to determine for age and I have no clear understanding of whether such a piece would be "Victorian" or "later 20th century" (regardless of it being marked "Bohemain".

My reasons :
a) colour of the glass looks to be cranberry rather than older "ruby-ish"
b) the "etched" motifs are quite naive - in the sense that they are more symbolic of older versions. Note that what some folk refer to as a "C scroll" is, I believe, a very basic interpretation of the acanthus leaf (which in the height of the "Bohemian era" was well formed and full of detail.

I wouild welcome comments from someone with access to the decent books on "etched Bohemian work" - "m" are you reading this?
KevinH

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:12:05 AM »
Hi Kevin,I noticed the extra letters under the made in bohemia and they must be a reflection of the actual Bohemia,don't ask me how?.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2019, 12:19:52 PM »
Kev I'm reading but I can't really add anything as this is not my era/area of collecting at all.

(this is just my thinking: the colour may be an effect of it being ruby cased over clear.  I guess dependent on where it was made will influence the final colour version.  But as far as I know this method was used quite early on in the 19th century because ruby glass was expensive and also (I think ?) ruby glass would have been very dark so a thin layer over clear would render it more transparent.  I think I've read that somewhere but don't quote me.  Also  I'm not sure the word cranberry denotes a time or a place of making, but more is one of those words used as a descriptor of colour by collectors perhaps?)

I'm wondering if the etched design may have been made with a stencil in some way.  Then they hand enamelled dots to form the 'cartouche'.

Is the double Bohemia mark definitely a reflection or is it where the stencil slipped and was remarked possibly?

I don't know if there is a definitive date for when the name Bohemia stopped being used to mark items with, but I believe that after WWOne it became part of Czechoslovakia. 

It kind of looks Edwardian to me.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2019, 09:51:58 PM »
oh, the mold reminds me of the Borske Sklo bubble mold vases  :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia