No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Veritcal Optic Rib "Whitefriars" Vases...  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Large Veritcal Optic Rib "Whitefriars" Vases...
« on: August 14, 2006, 11:28:25 PM »
I've noticed a sudden slew of large (about 14"-15" tall) bucket-shaped vases with vertical optic ribs in a colour not disimilar to Golden Amber pop up described as 1930's Whitefriars at antique fairs and in antique centres for all manner of silly prices... and I spotted one (unattributed) in Nottingham this weekend in a small secondhand shop for £10 (negotiable).

I didn't buy it as I'd spotted prettier (and equally unattributed) Whitefriars to buy in the same shop and I can only carry so much, plus I'm a bit suspect about these bucket vases' Whitefriars-ness in general. They don't seem to show up in catalogues 1940 or later...

Is my initial instinct right, or should I rush back as soon as possible, if only to plonk it on eBay straight afterwards?  :lol:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 07:10:36 AM »
There is one way to tell whether it could be WF: looked from above it will have a hexagonal appearance. Webb optic-ribbed tend to look square. Purely an optical illusion of course.

There are many other optic- and wave-ribbed vases so this is only a guide - I can't say whether other makes might not have similar attributes.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 07:46:04 AM »
There is one way to tell whether it could be WF: looked from above it will have a hexagonal appearance. Webb optic-ribbed tend to look square. Purely an optical illusion of course.

Think that only applies to the wave ribbed ones David.  Also, I believe that maximum height of these tumber vases was 12 inches.  Whitefriars didn't use the VERTICAL optic rib too much, mainly for drinking glasses and jugs, with the exception of the stuff they made for the Wuidart range and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any accurate available sizes  catalogued that I can find anyway. So I'd be cautious about attributing them to Whitefriars.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 07:49:37 AM »
Thanks Emmi: as I was trying to put across, this is a very "quick & dirty" method to quickly distinguish between WF and Webb :lol:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 07:56:21 AM »
Thanks for the information, both of you. I'm sure the Webb/Whitefriars tip will come into play at some point at a fair/auction.

Pattern 8473, a plain tumbler vase, shows up in the 1940 catalogue with sizes upto 15", which is probably what confuses sellers...

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 09:45:38 AM »
Yes, David's 'tip" has already shown to be VERY useful for me.  Emmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum