No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peter Layton or Peter John?  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
Peter Layton or Peter John?
« on: March 04, 2019, 10:36:46 AM »
I have had these paperweights for a couple of years; the labels are very worn, but read Peter John London England. At the time I gave up trying to research them as I couldn’t find anything else under this name. I have just had another go at Googling however, and came across a piece which states that Peter John is in fact Peter Layton and the name he used in the early years at London glassblowing. Does anyone know if this is true or is it just wishful thinking?

Thanks Penny
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
Re: Peter Layton or Peter John?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »
A couple of the paperweights I came across that claim to be early Peter Layton under the name Peter John, look a bit 'Chinesey', but after some more searching I came across this lovely candlestick with the Peter John label...any ideas, I'm baffled? ???
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PJ-Peter-John-Glass-London-Free-Hand-Blown-Candlestick-purple-green-white-16cm-/263902347743?item=263902347743&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=RdJ3%252B4fTupQWRJYL1fdwT%252BDtVSE%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
"One small crack does not mean that you are broken, it means that you were put to the test and didn't fall apart".
~ Linda Poindexter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 10:15:06 AM »
If you send an email with photos to London Glassblowing, they are very helpful. I have had 2 unsigned paperweights they have confirmed were by Peter and when I sent them by post they had Peter sign them for me.

Nick

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 06:39:32 PM »
I found the same label on a pair of porcelain hand vases for sale on eBay, so my feeling is this is a retailer's label not a maker's label. I'd be looking for a gallery or shop in London called Peter John. See the ceramic listing with label here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PETERJOHN-PETER-JOHN-PORCELAIN-HAND-HOLDING-WINE-GLASSES-LONDON-ENGLAND-SL-/143029524757

Edited to add: it may be these folks: PETERJOHN IMPORT - EXPORT LIMITED https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/00907901
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Penelope12

• Members
  • Glass hoarder!
    • Uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 07:35:15 AM »
Thanks Nick, that was very kind of Peter to sign them for you.

Fantastic piece of detective work Anne, I did a bit more digging and came across this porcelain vase with the same label which a few people probably recognise, I had a set of them in the eighties! Ah well...I suppose it’s always possible that Peter may have sold a few items to this company in his early days whilst he was becoming established, but then again, probably wishful thinking.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peter-John-London-porcelain-vase-Peacock-design-21cm-high-approx/233152934623
~ Linda Poindexter.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 05:34:04 PM »
Ah well...I suppose it’s always possible that Peter may have sold a few items to this company in his early days whilst he was becoming established ...

Very unlikely. But it would be good to send a query to London Glassblowing, asking if there ever was a connection with the Peter John company. We may then be able to confirm or debunk such claims.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand