No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any Finnish Glass Collectors Recognize this Cream & Suga  (Read 4996 times)

Offline Graphite

• Members
Any Finnish Glass Collectors Recognize this Cream & Suga
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 02:54:07 PM »
Greetings from Finland! Nanny Still's Harlekiini (Harlequin) pieces are splendid. There is a story that Madame Still was walking on seashore somewhere (Italy? Spain?) and found a piece of blue glass. She took it with her to Riihimäki Finland and wanted just the same turquoise/blue colour for this set.

Here a few more photos, which might explain, why Harlekiini is being adored all over the world. My opinion is that the lo-res pic is closer to the real color. The upper pic is a bit too blue.

http://design.museum.gent.be/fotos/archief/nieuw/still-2.jpg
http://www.publiscan.fi/jpeg/harlek.jpg

Edit: Painter1959, my envious congratulations fot the Wirkkala find! Your pieces are very, very valuable. Sigh.

Edit2: Humppila pieces are not ranked very high, at least here in Finland.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 03:04:46 PM »
The story I heard was that it was on the isle of Capri in Italy that the blue glass was washed ashore and found.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
Graphite! Welcome to this board, there are quite a number of collectors of Finnish glass here and we always enjoy input "from the source".  I hope you'll enjoy yourself.

Offline Graphite

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 03:28:48 PM »
Thank you Ivo, it seems that there are numerous experts in here! I'm afraid I am just reminiscing my childhood desing, and do not possess any rarities, but happy to help anywhere I can. At least in translation & spelling...  :D in Finnish I mean.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »
Quote from: "Graphite"
.... I am just reminiscing my childhood desing, and do not possess any rarities, but happy to help anywhere I can. At least in translation & spelling...  :D in Finnish I mean.

Hello Graphite - lovely to have you here - we really need a regular Finnish contributor on this board (you may just live to regret offering help in translation and spelling)  :D

Offline Graphite

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 10:35:15 AM »
Thanks Pip - found this forum when trying to solve the mystery of my one and only Murano plate, so it feels correct to offer help in return. (Btw, you seem to handle Finnish quite well!)

I am interested in the post-war Finnish design, as you all might know, Finland was in several wars and had to pay war indemnities to Russia. Compared to the lands of plenty (like Sweden and Denmark) Finland was very poor, but the people were innovative and creative. Shipping and paper industries were developed as well as beautiful design.

It is a shame most of it ended in the oil crisis. Nowadays traditional Finnish businesses are sold abroad and I am afraid we can kiss goodbye everything own and original.

So, if I can help 'saving the memory' of the great Finnish designers, I'm happy to help. One of the greatest, Timo Sarpaneva, passed away a month ago.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2006, 10:46:47 AM »
I am interested in the post-war Finnish design, as you all might know, Finland was in several wars and had to pay war indemnities to Russia. Compared to the lands of plenty (like Sweden and Denmark) Finland was very poor, but the people were innovative and creative. Shipping and paper industries were developed as well as beautiful design.

It is a shame most of it ended in the oil crisis. Nowadays traditional Finnish businesses are sold abroad and I am afraid we can kiss goodbye everything own and original.

So, if I can help 'saving the memory' of the great Finnish designers, I'm happy to help. One of the greatest, Timo Sarpaneva, passed away a month ago.

The memory of great Finnish design is alive and well here Graphite - as you know I'm also a big fan (as are many others on here) and you'll also be pleased to hear that Timo Sarpaneva's recent passing didn't go without mention on this board.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 11:03:10 AM »
Quote from: Pip
Timo Sarpaneva's recent passing didn't go without mention on this board.
See: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,7649.0.html
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 11:16:20 AM »

I can not share your pessimism. Contemporary Finnish design of glass and other tableware is strong and original and few countries can match the steady innovative output, stylistic consistency and professional distribution in this sector.  As for the sale of traditional businesses, remember that the Finnish paper industry bought up all paper mills in the rest of Europe. It's the way of the world... And I haven't even mentioned Saab or Nokia.  :wink:  :wink:  :wink:

Offline Graphite

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2006, 11:18:01 AM »
Ah! You are right Ivo. Thanks for reminding me, but still... for me, the design today is not as courageous, wild and original as it was in the golden ages. But I will get used to it... not. Considering paper mills I wanted to pinpoint the fact that the knowledge and innovation was Finnish... believe me it is frustrating to write in English!

Thank you for the Sarpaneva memorial link! I am touched. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand