No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Identification of maker of Murano vase  (Read 2298 times)

Offline woboston

• Members
Identification of maker of Murano vase
« on: August 16, 2006, 07:40:25 PM »
Your help in identifying the designer/maker of this unsigned vase will be much appreciated.  It was purchased in Italy in the mid-to-late 1950s.  
It is 11.5 inches (29.2 cm) tall,   clear aventurine with applied red ribbons and has an unpolished pontil. Many thanks,

ohn West

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 12:14:01 AM »
Hi John,
Very striking looking vase!
Off hand, I think Dino Martens for the vase.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:48:30 AM »
If the colouring as brown as it appears in the pictures? If so I doubt Dino Martens and would favour Seguso, also the shape doesn't look like a Martens piece to me.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Laura Friedman

• Members
    • http://planetglass.net
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 05:16:54 PM »
I agree that it's not Dino Martens and most probably Archimede Seguso. Lovely piece! Give me a jingle if it's for sale.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 02:33:54 AM »
Hi Laura and Paul,
So you both think Seguso on this one, hmmm...
I have seen the Seguso pieces with applied red cords to them, but this ones look like they are in the glass. Also the double set of stripes looks like a Martens for Aureliano Toso design to me. I havent really seen many others do that style. Maybe Fratelli Toso with his band vases, but thats it.
I was looking over the Seguso books I have and didnt see one like it.
Maybe I need more books, lol.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline woboston

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 04:27:15 AM »
Thank you all for your insights.  I find your discussion enlightening. The ribbons are claret colored and in slight relief.  The body is of a very pale gray tonality. The base is broad and the ribbons are polished flat at the points where they meet the surface upon which they sit.

The vase is part of an estate I am handling for the trust department of my bank.  At the request of the executor, I am preparing a list of items from which the heirs may choose, with the value the item(s) chosen being deducted from each heir's share of the estate. If I remember correctly, there are a couple of other good examples of mid-century Murano in a box for which I am waiting.  

If the family chooses money over Murano, I will be able to offer them for sale.  (I hope I haven't violated Forum policy or protocol by mentioning this and will be guided by our moderator as to policy and procedure)

Thanks for your interest and help,
John
ohn West

Offline Artofvenice

• Members
    • http://www.artofvenice.com
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2006, 08:28:53 PM »
Hi guys,
Also in this message I will go on with my doubtful policy...
I really think that for shape, colour and (for what I can see) thickness, the piece is inspired by Dino Martens... but... It was really made in Aurelaino Toso furnace? Also this is a pretty easy to be made piece and there are (and were) many, many master glassmaker able to blown a piece like this. MAy be for a customer commission or just because they have seen this piece somewhere. In this case we can explain the different colors from the usual Martens pieces made with that style.
Just my feeling about this piece. Anyway it is very very elegant.

Ciao

Alex
http://www.artofvenice.com

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 02:11:13 AM »
I'm not in charge of message board policy, but in answer to the question asked, I think it would be appropriate to say, "I'm listing it on eBay tonight..."  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.  I know I'd appreciate that information as someone who follows this board.  (I'd like to know where the woman from Chicago is consigning her Venini striped vase from a few months ago, the one Paul commented is "rare as hen's teeth...").

It's a great looking piece, but I'm wondering how certain the information is that it was bought in Italy in the 1950s (not that I have any reason to doubt). The quality of imitators and forgers is scary; I have an unbelievable Dino Martens 'tutti frutti' red cased toothpick holder that I understand to be a Chinese knock-off, because the base is unpolished.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 01:48:23 PM »
Items listed for sale can be posted in the Glass Market Place with links to the sale included. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline woboston

• Members
Murano -Martens? maybe
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 03:26:51 PM »
The couple to whom this belonged were married in Amsterdam in 1944 and subsequently lived in Lausanne, Switzerland then Tehran, Iran,  before retiring in Bartlesville, Oklahoma,  in the early 1970's.   They travelled extensively and bought well. They also inherited some very nice things.
(He was the son of a Dutch diplomat, she was the daughter of a German baron.)

If additional images will help, I will gladly provide them.  I certainly appreciate the thoughtful comments coming out of this discussion.

Best regards,
John
ohn West

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand