No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rare Thomas Webb (or Harrach!!) Satin Glass Vase for show  (Read 5056 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Rare Thomas Webb Satin Glass Vase for show
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »
Thanks m for the link.

I had seen the vase at the Ardingly fair on my 2 previous trips and doing a little research at home without my books Loetz Octopus was the nearest match I found, but they all seemed to be gilded.

I went back to Ardingly last week with the intention of buying the vase if it was still there which it was. So there had not been much interest in it until I bought it.
Fieldings have sold 3 or 4 Octopus vases.
http://fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/lot/121061

My gut feeling is my vase is English and it does have that satin glass feel.
Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 08:04:51 PM »
Hi Roy

I've not time at the moment to look but does Hajdamach say anything about these in either book?  is there any pattern id in the back of  one of his books under Thomas Webb at all?

Really curious - also was it you who mentioned that Fieldings had bought all the STevens and Williams pattern books?  Is that true?  I thought they were in the archives at Dudley but being borrowed by someone for research.

m

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2019, 08:11:31 AM »
 Hajdamach British Glass 1800-1914 page 308-10 has some on air trap ,but not on my vase.

I am pretty sure Fieldings told me that they had the pattern books to find out the pattern number of the 6 Steven and Williams intaglio cut wine of mine which they did. I need to speak to Fielding this week I will double check.

Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 08:41:56 PM »
oh thanks Roy. I just like to know the whereabouts of the pattern books  :)

m

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 06:19:46 PM »
I have been told this week that the vase is Harrach and called the Rose pattern. This is a new update on the vase which had been attributed to Thomas Webb before this recent update.
As far as I have been told there is a reference for the vase at Harrach.

Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 09:05:08 PM »
 :)

Thanks for letting us know the update.

I've just had a quick look through the Harrach book and couldn't see anything similar in there.
Did the identification come from Harrach? (They were extremely helpful with a pattern reference for an unusual piece I sent photos of a few years ago).

I think it is Harrach btw, just wondering where the id came from.

m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Rare Thomas Webb (or Harrach!!) Satin Glass Vase for show
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2019, 05:32:01 PM »
Rather than move this thread now, I have tweaked the title and await any further news on the Harrach Id source info.
KevinH

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Re: Rare Thomas Webb (or Harrach!!) Satin Glass Vase for show
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2019, 09:21:26 PM »
I will check to see if the person who ID the vase as Harrach is happy to be named as it would be polite to check first. I was told he has heavily researched this pattern and found a reference for Harrach.
Just googled Harrach satin glass rose pattern and the same vase in blue came up on Pinterest described as Harrach satin glass rose and acorn pattern .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand