No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unidentified Camer Light Fixture  (Read 818 times)

Offline JakeNGenny

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Chandeliers
    • Philadelphia
Unidentified Camer Light Fixture
« on: June 03, 2019, 12:55:26 PM »

Hello there and good morning!

So glad I found this forum! I've recently purchased a house where the PO left behind a rather larger pendant/chandelier of what looks like hand-blown glass Lilly petals. The PO left behind a brochure that indicates it is a Camer fixture, but I don't know much more about it. I think I read that Camer was an importer rather than a manufacturer and I can't find much info online about Camer.

So here are my questions:
 - What is this thing?! More information is always good!
 - where can i find more info?
 - While I appreciate the craftsmanship and beauty of it, it's not really our style - can I resell it? Ebay is one option, CL is another, but this feels like an item for a very particular buyer - what might be my next move?

TIA for all the help and guidance!

PS - sorry, I'm a knucklehead and can't figure out how to rotate the pictures...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Re: Unidentified Camer Light Fixture
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »
Hello and welcome.

What a lovely housewarming gift!  Have you tried disassembling it, to check for marks on the glass and the metalwork?

Is there anything in the paperwork to indicate the country of manufacture?

At least one member is extremely knowledgeable about lighting, it will be interesting to learn more.

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Fuhrman Glass

• Glass Professional
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 02:16:57 PM »
Camer imported a lot of fixtures in the 60s and 70s. They predominantly imported from Italy/Murano as it was difficult getting things from Czechoslovakia and the Eastern block nations during that period. I think many of their designs were proprietary and made in smaller quantities as they didn't seem to appear in any of their competitions lines. At times they may have sourced production from Spain and Portugal as well, but I am not positive. I designed for some lighting companies during that same era.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 03:42:15 PM »
I've been looking at lighting this week and managed to identify one of mine as Mazzega.  I kept an eye out for yours and some of the Murano pieces felt on the right track, but nothing looked as "free form" as yours.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Cat 😺

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 09:14:54 AM »
I've been thinking more about the attribution for this piece.  There are a lot of similar pieces attributed to Franco Luce.  The pamono site has three similar wall lights attributed to Franco Luce for Venini.  I have been unable to find a biography for Franco Luce.

If I were selling this piece, with the information currently available, I think I would describe it as Franco Luce after Seguso.  Hopefully someone will have more information about Franco Luce and might be able to confirm where he worked.
Cat 😺

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand