No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maker's Mark - JR? - ID = Riedel  (Read 15886 times)

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Maker's Mark - JR? - ID = Riedel
« on: August 17, 2006, 07:02:02 PM »
As everyone seems to be in tonight I thought I'd try and get another mystery solved.  Makers mark etched, looks like JR inside a box with only 3 sides.  I've photographed it and put in a drawing (yes I know sorry about that) :

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/smallerDSCN0782.jpg

Any ideas?  I've been trying to crack this for a year but I am prepared to give up and do it the easy way now!

Thanks
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Maker's Mark - JR?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 07:17:16 PM »
It's not in Hartmann so probably post 1950. A picture of the whole piece might help. This is a sandblasted mark, not etched.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Maker's Mark - JR?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:33:12 PM »
Hi Frank - here is a picture but it may not be clear enough as there's no daylight left.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/albums/userpics/10086/normal_smallerDSCN1193.jpg

item is 8" high 2" diameter at the top and etched or engraved (but not sand blasted) with a scene of a cockerel, trees, and birds.  The green base might be stained.  I can't decide if it's a champagne flute or a vase.

Hope it helps
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Maker's Mark - JR?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:05:35 PM »
Josef Riedel again....

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Maker's Mark - JR?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »
Hi Ivo - why did you say "again"?
Cat 😺

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Maker's Mark - JR?
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 06:06:16 AM »
For some reason this mark turns up again and again on this forum. Riedel is one of the largest contemporary glass makers, so there is lots of glass around with his mark on it. Their wine glasses are unsurpassed, by the way - if you ever find any, use them.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Maker's Mark - JR?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 07:54:33 AM »
Riedel were established in 1756.

Ivo, do you know when this mark was introduced?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Maker's Mark - JR?
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 09:40:01 AM »
I believe the Riedels re-established their industry in Austria in 1955;  the CJR (Claus-Josef Riedel) monogram was introduced 1960. The monogram changes from year to year - so the Riedels can tell from the monogram when the piece was made.  Not sure if this information is found anywhere else... it is not on their website

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Maker's Mark - JR?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 10:34:36 AM »
Ah.......now I can see the mark is CJR.  I will search the board to have a look at some of the other things that have come up.  Thank you, Cat
Cat 😺

Offline Pauly

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Riedel glasses
    • london
Re: Maker's Mark - JR - ID = Riedel
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 11:28:30 AM »
Hello.
 I realise this is a very old thread.
 I'm trying to get some expert advice on the old JR Riedel monogram, on the based of a Sommelier grand cru Burgundy set. -The burgundy glasses are 248mm tall, with a volume of 1050ml and the Bordeaux 270mm tall with a capacity of 860ml.
The monogram is so ingenious in design, subtle changes depicting the year of production (picture attached).
 I have a Riedel mystery to solve, my question is .. and if Ivo Haanstra reads this I'll be pleased- as he seems to be the world leading knowledge on such things. The Riedel company has no-one old enough to remember, even the museum in Austria has little information!

My question is.. I can see from the monogram its year is 1991, but what does the "dot" as part of the monogram signify??

This monogram was so clever and meaningful, surely this dot has significance.

Only my sommelier grange glasses from this era, 1990-1994 have this dot and no other lesser ranges. The 2 theories I have so far- the "dot" could signify sommelier range, used before the Riedel hand style signature was reintroduced in 1996. Or a second theory that these glasses were of second quality, I find this hard to believe.

Before 1996 there must have been some kind of system to identify hand blown, mouth blown from machine blown- as the signature does now.

I know were going back a few decades, hopefully someone out there has has definitive knowledge on the matter.
 My thanks and appreciation in advance. Best regards Pauly

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand