No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech novelty figural thermometer - ID = ZBS  (Read 5309 times)

Offline heartofglass

• Members
Czech novelty figural thermometer - ID = ZBS
« on: August 18, 2006, 09:00:46 AM »
Here is a cute novelty thermometer that I got in an op shop the other day.
It is about 15cm high, & the duck glows under black light. The thermometer is in perfect working order.
There are 2 labels on the base, one reading "Made in Czechoslovakia", but the other gold, shield-like one is indecipherable to me.
Anyone recognise it? Who made it & what era?
I'm thinking maybe mid-20th C. vintage.

Thanks!
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Czech novelty figural thermometer
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 09:24:07 AM »
looks like a ZBS sticker. I'd put this one in the 60s - but I could be a few years off....

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 09:31:11 AM »
Thanks Ivo!
It does look like it says ZBS,in a stylised script, when I examine it more closely.
Now, please excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but who were ZBS?
 :oops:
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 09:44:18 AM »
are, Marinka, are. Zelezni Brodski Sklo, from Zelezni Brod, Czech Republic. Here is their website

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
Thanks again, Ivo!
I really appreciate the info,& it was great to see the website of the maker of my little thermometer!
As I said, glass of this period isn't my specialty,but I couldn't resist this cute item,which is also very useful. :)
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline heartofglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 01:20:03 PM »
Marinka.
More glass than class!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 02:03:23 PM »
Not sure that pricing is entirely realistic. Brychta ran the figurine department at ZBS from 1921 to 1960 - which is a very long time, but when he was pensioned off the department continued ...

His early works are sought after - matchstick figurines full of humour and quite distinctive in style. Later (studio) items tend to be more lumpy and realistic, and do not fetch the high prices of the 1920s and 1930s figurines.

There seems to be no reason to place the thermometer in the 1920s, as these neither match the style of early Brychta or of later studio figurines as there is not much detail in the item.

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2006, 03:24:39 PM »
I agree with Ivo, that caution should be exercised as to value.

Few pieces were actually made by Brychta, who for the most part designed this type of item. Clearly the "Universe" series 1958, designed  for the Brussels World "Expo" were the work of Ladislav Ouhrabka. Other series designed by Brychta include:"Aquarium"1934, "Glass Heaven" 1936, "Bethlehem" 1936, and "Cities", 1942. Some of his most interesting personal work comes from the period following his retirement, where fantasy and playfulness led to the creation of weird and wonderfully coloured animals.

Nice item, possibly mid-1930's onward.

Regards,

Marcus

Connie

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2006, 05:02:13 PM »
I am going to disagree on the pricing.  If your piece with the duck or the other piece that you showed in the link were in my possession and I knew nothing about it and had to price it, I would put it at around the $200 mark.

This would be based on comparable pieces and their availability in the U.S.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2006, 05:27:37 PM »
Sell it quick, we are still in the 50 year period and this are bound to become more common. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand