No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1950s Holmegaard Glasses...  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
1950s Holmegaard Glasses...
« on: August 19, 2006, 01:50:53 PM »
Trying to track down the pattern name of the glasses that came with this Aalborg Akvavit (Danish liqueur company) comissioned drinks set (with original box and pre-1965 labels... as well as an export label I've never seen before - hurray!):

I think that they're 'Twist' glasses by J.E. Bang from 1953, but I can only find an example of a water goblet from that pattern, and there are some differences around the foot and the bowl.

Any idea if I'm on the right path?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 02:28:21 PM »
Nic,

Circaglass have a set of similar glasses, boxed, on their website:
http://www.circaglass.co.uk/phdi/p2.nsf/supppages/circa?opendocument&part=7
It's hard to judge the size / proportions from the photos :?

I remember looking at them at Gaydon and think there was a PL? pattern number on the box.
Hope this helps!

robbo
robbo

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 03:48:47 PM »
Ah, thanks for that... although mine are a little shorter (spot on 14cm). It's possible that these were made shorter especially for the set, I guess...

Not too sure about the PL pattern number - from all the boxed pieces I have to hand (dating between 1950s-2000's) all the pattern codes are numbers only.

I'm trying to find my source which stated J.E. Bang as the designer... I jotted it down when I found the set on eBay and went hunting for a designer/period, but I can't for the life of me remember where from.  :?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 03:58:00 PM »
Ah, found it:

Bang Twist Glass

Although a near-identical glass shows up around 1900, so it looks like Bang just tweaked an older design:

Older Twist Glass

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 04:46:50 PM »
Nic,

Thanks for that link—looks very interesting. Having looked at all the photos again, I'd say that the bowls of the Circaglass ones are smaller in proportion to the total height than yours but I'd guess the design was possibly produced with different sized bowls for different beverages :o , like so many others.

Why not email Circaglass & ask exactly what their box says? All I can say from memory is that "PL" was somewhere on the box  :roll:

robbo
robbo

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 05:04:41 PM »
The bowls are too small on mine to be anything other than a schnapps / cordial glass, as with the Circaglass ones. I suspect that mine do just have shorter stems.

It's a shame that the box for mine doesn't yield any clues, but it's just emblazoned with Aalborg Akvavit on the front and sides, and Holmegaard and export labels on the back.

But I'll see if emailing Circaglass unearths any new information.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »
Nic,
I'm sure they'll be very helpful, they're extremely nice people - I've bought several pieces from them!

robbo
robbo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand