No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quality cut glass vase  (Read 3845 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Quality cut glass vase
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2006, 09:24:24 AM »
Ah, but assumptions DO have to be made from time to time..... :lol:

and then I come on here and check them all out, and have them dashed to the ground!  

I was making assumptions purely in terms of damage repairs rather than anything else.  I totally agree that for lots of glass, various parameters have to be considered, and then an educated (or sometimes totally wild) guess has to be made... 8)

But there is an old saying I try very hard to keep in mind,

when in doubt, leave it out...
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Quality cut glass vase
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 12:18:44 PM »
Hmmm, yes, but another of couple sayings might be worth a thought:

"Faint heart never won fair lady", which can apply to an array of things, and, probably more appropriate, might be, "No-one made a profit without first making a loss".

Without making mistakes (which many of the people who give advice on these boards have done) you really cannot learn and gain confidence.

Maybe, assumptions, if made, should only be made from an educated view point, since, as you admit, they are only dashed to the ground when you come here :shock: :? Surely what I said about repairs tells you that even the best of us can be fooled if the repair is done well? So, no, assumptions cannot even be made there.

For instance there is a unique vase that was sold at auction. It fooled a number of 20th century glass authorities. The problem? What everybody is thinking is the unique part is in fact a 2006 'addition' :shock:  :?  :shock:  However, with a little sideways thinking it doesn't take much to work out that it is wrong and why.

You may think me hard-hearted, but I believe if you re-read what I said before there are answers for you there :D

Nigel

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Quality cut glass vase
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 12:32:17 PM »
8)
Nigel, I always think the best of people...

You may feel you are hard hearted, but I don't think so, just hard nosed  maybe....   :lol:

I have sold ceramics for much longer than glass, but I love my glass, and I want to carry on buying and selling, and I am learning all the time.  Whilst I take your point about having to make a loss before you make a profit, I don't want to ruin my reputation whilst I am about it!  So for me, if I am not absolutely 100% sure that an item is right, I will tend to leave it alone until I have more "touchy feely" experience under my belt.   If this means others take the profits, well, good for them.  There is more than enough profit around in this world for all of us.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand