No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Akcam bowl. Turkey.  (Read 10929 times)

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Akcam bowl. Turkey.
« on: September 01, 2019, 03:59:08 PM »
Wasn't sure which category to post this in.  Large bowl, which I first thought was metal because of its appearance and the sound it made when tapped.  Turns out it is handmade in Turkey by Akcam.  The exterior appears to have been sprayed with a plastic like surface and the interior is very glossy.  However, I just wonder if this is a transfer of some sort, plain on one side with the tortoise shell pattern on the other and added to a clear glass bowl????   Just about able to find the plastic label on the inside - shown below for reference. 

Previously discussed here https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46236.msg259533.html#msg259533  I've seen lots of these large flower type bowels around and have often wondered where they came from.
Anne E.B

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Akcam bowl. Turkey.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 05:36:25 PM »

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 12:56:45 PM »
It's good to know who made them as I've seen these quite often on my travels, usually the flowery petal shape ones. Good to know that they made them in such a variety of shapes/patterns too.
I'm still not sure how mine was made though ???.  Well, I say "mine", but I bought it for someone who I know will like it.
Anne E.B

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 02:40:17 PM »
Not sure how they are made. Assuming they start with the glass though... Then maybe the pattern added next with a final coat of paint on the back. The pattern could be on a thick sheet of some material that is flexible when hot, that could give the 3D nature of the patterns and shape to the bowl. Could find out by damaging one to see how it is made but...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »
Large platter approx 16" diameter in local CS.  Has a swing tag "Silverina Made in Turkey".  very similar to the Akcam pieces - geometric design with painted back.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand