No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart pattern name request  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Stuart pattern name request
« on: October 16, 2019, 02:19:16 PM »
I might have seen this cut pattern before but if so it's slipped the memory, so perhaps someone might recognize it  -  don't think it can be common if it's not ringing bells for me.

In the Benson & Hayhurst 'Art Deco to Post Modernism' there are a few of Kny's designs from the 1930s that have some similarity to the cutting on this bowl - repeating chevrons or feather like images - arrow fletches or whatever  - created by means of graduated mitres etc., but can't see one that appears to match.
Some of Stuart's backstamps were used for longer that perhaps we appreciate, so I' a bit doubtful they reliable for dating, but who knows.

About 8 inches in diameter (c. 200 mm) and some reasonable base wear, plus a big ish fleabite on the rim which is cut and bevelled (the rim, not the fleabite) ;)
thanks for looking.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart pattern name request
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 06:33:56 PM »
thanks for the sleuthing - it looks very similar re the slanting mitre cuts, but seems to be missing the long central mitre cut than connects them,
so still a tad confused - but date wise that set appears comparable  ….   just a shame it doesn't seem to be in the above mentioned booklet.
I too don't do Pinterest  -  not that they don't have some very useful images, but I'm disinclined usually to sign up to such places and shove out my personal details, once more - though expect my info is out there in spades anyway.
I'll keep this one for a while and perhaps someone here might find an exact match.
thanks again.   

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:27:51 PM »
giving this Pinterest suggestion some more thought  ………………………  despite the absence of a long central cut connecting the short mitres, plus a different arrangement of short cuts on the Pinterest decanter - there is perhaps enough to connect the two and suggest they may have sufficient in common to be related.

There are some cut patterns where by reason of size of the piece, the entire original pattern doesn't fit or whatever, and is therefore reduced in overall appearance  -  but there's no doubting it's a design seen uncommonly.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 09:31:09 PM »
I tracked it to the original site - antiquesatlas.com.  Not much info, looks like it was sold by scottishglass and they had a date of c.1935 but no pattern name.  It would be handy to see the Stuart 1930 catalogue, but I couldn't find one to view online, only to buy.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:00:58 AM »
thanks  -  if there's one thing we learn about glass designs, it's that for reasons of success, popularity or whatever, some endure for a very long time, and there are known Stuart patterns that have been used over many decades  -  'Beaconsfield' must have been going for a century or thereabouts and some of Kny's cut patterns have had long lives.
Knowing this does mean that it's wise be a tad circumspect about dating a piece of glass solely on the pattern  -  it might have been made early in the life of the design, but equally possibly much later, and there are other factors that can help  -  style of the backstamp and wear should also help.

This are some v.g. similarities between the decanter and the bowl  -  certainly wouldn't surprise me if there is a connection, but will decline for the moment to put head on the block and say identical. ;D                           thanks again.

think I recall Nigel Benson making some comments in the past about Stuart pattern catalogues  -  he might have said there were four and they were owned/held by someone, but now don't remember details.           I might have that wrong completely, of course.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 11:09:44 AM »
I would not be surprised if there is not Pattern name simply a number.  The 1939 catalog I have (supposedly) - does not show anything like yours but it is interesting to note nothing has a pattern name only a number.  For example "Woodchester with Dots" #28582 - Cut Cress Dish and Stand 6.5 in diam.  10/- complete.  The good old days.

And there was a lovely "Tamara" #28530 Jug and 6 Glasses called a Fruit Drink Set 32/6 the set.  Or the 2 pint Jug for 11/6 and the 6 Fruit Drink Glasses 10 oz. for 21/- per half dozen.  Interesting to note the Tamara Service Number had altered to 28954 in the Catalog from the early 50s I have.  The Jug was now available in 3 sizes with the 2 pint one the largest.  The glasses were now called Fruit Drink still but the original 10oz was joined by a smaller 8oz and a larger 14 oz. sizes.  No prices given in the later catalog.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 02:04:51 PM »
thanks for the input Ross - much appreciated.    That you should see nothing like this cut pattern in the earlier catalogue is perhaps curious, insofar as the decanter pattern showing in catshomes's link is allegedly 1930s - maybe the answer is that some designs were indeed short-lived, or that only the really popular ones are recorded.              Tamara and Woodchester that you mention were very popular cut designs, and had long lives.

I do recall your donation to the Board of those 1920s workshop pages of Stuart patterns  -  but obviously those are way too early and unrelated to this bowl.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 02:09:50 PM »
Paul I forgot to mention that Replacements Ltd has a huge range of Stuart design (with names - from where I have no idea).  Maybe you could find it in there.  The shape of Stuart is definitely from before WW2.  It is shown in that shape in the 1938 and 1927 catalogs I have copies of.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 09:42:40 PM »
Hi Ross  -  my thanks for your continued interest and help - in fact this particular piece went back to the charity shop some while back, and have to say I no longer collect though I've kept a small collection of the better pieces in remembrance of things past, and I had some good finds and much fun over the years.               As you can imagine, U.K. charity shops and boot sales have been closed for a long time, but I'm getting the jitters waiting for everything to start up again, and who knows perhaps I'll find some good glass again.    My very best wishes to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand