No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Nanny Still  (Read 12361 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Nanny Still
« on: August 23, 2006, 06:46:33 PM »
I am looking through a catalogue for an auction we are going to shortly, and there are a couple of Nanny Still vases listed, nothing else mentioned.  Now I had not heard of Nanny Still until reading about him (?)  here so I have no feeling for the values and how much to bid.  I'm floundering about on line comparing up values.... seems to be a very wide variation.

Am I right in thinking that as a rule of thumb the Riihimaen stuff is more valuable than the Riihimaki?   And the tall straight stuff (Harlekin? is it?) most expensive?

Are there any markings on the base I should be looking for?

thanks for the quick master class.....
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Nanny Still
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 06:53:19 PM »
Hi Lynne,

Riihimaen and Riihimaki were one in the same company. It was situated in Riihikamki and was once called by the same name. It later became known as Riihimaen Lasi Oy.

Nanny Still is a lady, if you Google there is lots of info about her.
Harlekiini is a range, designed by Nanny Still and comanding great sums of money.

I loathe to say this, but take a look on ebay to get an idea of what the company made. Some is marked and some is not.
It seems as though Riihimaen pieces are becoming more and more collectable.

I have quite a few pieces as I love most of the stuff.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Nanny Still
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 06:54:00 PM »
Nanny Still is a lady and yes, you're right about the Harlekiini range - it is pretty collectable (and commanding good prices).  However, most of the Nanny Still vases I have are just your bog standard unsigned 'lantern' types that don't command big prices but are very decorative and come in nice bright colours.

*posted at the same time as Della* :-)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Nanny Still
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 07:05:01 PM »
I personally prefer Tamara Aladin designs (for the same company of course).  :lol:

Quote from: "Pip"
*posted at the same time as Della*

Great minds an' all, Pip.  :lol:  :lol:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pat

• Members
Nanny Still
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 08:15:31 PM »
My favourite is Helena Tynell.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Nanny Still
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 08:41:07 PM »
thanks both,

I have indeed been wandering about ebay, Della, which is probably why I am so confused. I am finding prices from 4.99 through to 120, which seems rather a wide range for one designer.  But it looks to me that the pure square  Harlekiini are the ones making the money, and I wondered if it was just "ebay-itis" or a true summary of the desirability.

it doesn't help that ebay is just coming out of its summer slump, so lots of the pricing is uncharacteristic of the usual prices achieved.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Nanny Still
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »

Some Riihimaen bottoms for your consideration Jo.  :wink: The concentric squares belong to a 'Kehra' Tamara Aladin vase.  Although not all Riihimaen vases have this base detail, it certainly helps to pick some of them out when you're learning.   :D

I've never seen a Riihimaen vase with this type of base signed, although I do have other pieces with plain, flat bases signed Lasi oy Riihimaen + the name of the designer.  (from memory, they're in a box now I think)
I am not a man

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Nanny Still
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 08:47:39 PM »
Lynne, I didn't mean to look on ebay for a price reference. It is swings and rounabouts at the moment, with all kinds of sales.
I just meant to get an idea of shapes, colours, designers etc.

:lol:

(I want your Kehra vase, Max :mrgreen:  Have you seen what they are fetching, even with the slow summer sales?)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Nanny Still
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 08:55:27 PM »
Thanks Max, that is very helpful.  They haven't posted any pics of these supposed Nanny Still vases, so I am assuming they must be signed ones or they wouldn't know who they were by...

I'll probably find that they are completely different when I get there... :-(
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Pat

• Members
Nanny Still
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 09:07:30 PM »
They may well know who they are by without signatures. The designers are well documented although Tamara Aladin, Nanny Still and Helena Tynell are often mixed up by sellers on ebay.
No retreat, No surrender.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand