No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Daum signature (without France)  (Read 8807 times)

Offline dn

• Members
Daum signature (without France)
« on: March 22, 2004, 11:52:28 PM »
Please help!  I have an auction on ebay and I received an email telling me this is a fake.  It is a Daum Crystal Dolphin my uncle purchased from Neiman Marcus in Dallas around 1972.  I was told this is not a Daum signature and that the piece is badly done. If you have any knowledge on this piece please let me know.  I don't want to sell a fake and will pull the auction.  
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29558&item=3713013891&ssPageName=STRK:MESSE:IT
The item is listed as "Daum Crystal Dolphin with Stand
Thanks for any help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Tony H

Daum
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 04:54:51 AM »
Hi
Here is a link to Great Glass who have a page of Trade Marks and Labels
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/marka-h.htm let me know if it works
Kind regards Tony H in NZ

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
unlikely
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 07:33:08 AM »
I have a dozen pieces of Daum crystal from the 50s-70s and they are ALL signed "Daum France" - even the tiny salt cellars. So a large dolphin with just "Daum" would be suspicious.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 09:21:38 AM »
Can't access larger picture so can't really tell.  Daum did make a large leaping dolphin on a chrome stand like this, in the seventies. They used to retail for about £250 in those days.

Offline dn

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 06:48:24 PM »
Thanks Tony for the website, but unfortunately it only has pre war trade mark for Daum.
Ivo, I am afraid you are right.  I've searched the web and can not find anything with just "Daum".
Thanks for writing.

Offline dn

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 07:05:51 PM »
Well, I just received two emails from glass distributors in France and England, and they both confirm it is a Daum original.  The piece was done in the 70's and hand signed.  They have changed their signature over the years and since it is individually etched by different people, the signature is never the same from piece to piece.
Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand