No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stephen Rickard Goblet  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Stephen Rickard Goblet
« on: August 25, 2006, 07:49:44 AM »
::I was going to add this to an existing Stephen Rickard thread, but it's been archived and I can't access it::   :(

Nicely made fine goblet engraved by Stephen Rickard.  Oddly the goblet itself has a flaw in it - a thin streak of brown within the stem.  Obviously not deemed bad enough to stop the engraving though!

I think 'To Serve Mankind' is the motto of the City University, London?  Dated 1977 and signed by Stephen Rickard, I don't know if this is one of a set, or an individual commission...

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2988

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2989

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2987
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Stephen Rickard Goblet
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 06:27:11 PM »
Hi Max, it looks like City University's arms to me, and the motto is theirs, as you say. I found a colour version of the City Uni arms here for comparison: http://www.heraldica.org/topics/acad-uk.htm (scroll down about half-way).

There is a slight difference in the design but heraldic artists can vary interpretation slightly anyhow. The design below the cross in both examples is clearly a fire beacon of some sort, so I'd say it's a match.  As to 1977 - I checked City's history and nothing jumps out as special to them for that year, but 1977 was of course, the Queen's Silver Jubilee year so all sorts of 1977 things may have been produced for that.  It could also have been for someone graduating in 1977 and nothing to do with the Queen at all!

It might be worth contacting the Uni - send them a copy of the pics and ask if they can throw any light on the item?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Stephen Rickard Goblet
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 06:41:36 PM »
Anne...that is so kind of you to go to that trouble for me.  I wouldn't have thought of the heraldry aspect, but as you say, the goblet seems to fit with City University as I hoped.  :D

Thanks also for having the foresight to check the University history for 1977...I'm speechless (almost...feel a bit excitable today...lol), so thank you again, you really are a star.   :D

I will drop the University a line in the next couple of days and see if they can offer anything...good idea.

Cheers Anne. xx
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Stephen Rickard Goblet
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 06:57:39 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
(almost...feel a bit excitable today...lol), so thank you again, you really are a star.   :D

I'm not surprised you're feeling excitable... it sounds like you've had a really good day Max! :D  Glad the info was some use... researching helps to pass the time whilst waiting for servers to behave!   :wink:  :roll:  :lol:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand