No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Wrythen vaseline glass uranium decanter  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Pat

• Members
Wrythen vaseline glass uranium decanter
« on: August 26, 2006, 02:10:25 PM »
I bought a decanter this morning along with a WH lobed vase. In the charity shop it just looked amber but when I got it home I saw the green on the rim shone the light and bingo-uranium. I don't know a thing about it so am hoping for help. It is 7.75" tall, has a pouring lip eithger side. The stopper has V shape indents each side and the bottom has a ground and polished pontil. It does have tiny tiny fleabites where the heavy stopper has caught the rim whilst in use and a few chips on the neck of the stopper but is still nice. In my album as Yobunny is off line.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/foxytanith/album?.dir=e285
No retreat, No surrender.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 02:32:34 PM »
I saw one of these for the first time on ebay a couple of weeks ago but can't help you any further http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170016529875

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 02:58:17 PM »
Pat, on a slightly different point... I noticed in your album a small collection of Bo Borgstrom vases - one of them looks to be 1970's Holmegaard, though:

Auction

Unless, of course, the label on the vase doesn't belong there. It's a very odd colour combination for Holmegaard.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 03:53:40 PM »
Nic, I'm confident that my vase is by Bo Borgstrom or at least I was! I cannot see that it is in any way Holmegaard. It just reeks Borgstrom. I suspect the label on the vase should not be there.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 04:10:53 PM »
This is my gut feeling too, although Holmegaard did produce a lot of very un-Holmegaardy things in the mid-late 70s.

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 05:30:20 PM »
I am pretty sure that your decanter's color is called SUNSHINE AMBER and the maker was Thomas Webb.  I have a little 3 or 4 oz. glass that would go perfectly with this decanter, along with the Wrythen twist.  I also suspect if you look VERY VERY CLOSELY at the bottom of the decanter, you might find a WEBB mark.  It will be very light, and you will have to get the light to reflect just so.  I almost bid on the one that was on ebay a couple weeks ago, too, but other demands required my discretionary funds.

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 05:29:07 PM »
Definitely not marked. I've looked in every circumstance of light known to man, but still nice!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand