No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with identification. Possible Crown Crystal Depression Glass  (Read 3338 times)

Offline LucasAtko

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Carnival Glass, depressioglass
    • Australia
Hi all, would love any help with the attached. I've searched the internet high and low. The closest I can find is a clear version and a green uranium version, both Crown Crystal but nothing in this colour. Any help would be appreciated

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help with identification. Possible Crown Crystal Depression Glass
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 12:47:49 PM »
Hi - welcome to the GMB :)   -    if you're saying that you can find the exact pattern in uranium and clear, then this would seem to suggest your piece must be Crown Crystal, although always possible the mould may have subsequently changed ownership  -  take it that this piece is fully mould-made.          Had a brief look at pieces from Crown Crystal and as you say this colour not shown, but it might be rare.             I like the colour  -  a sort of almost fiery orange.    Is the matte effect created by acid or sandblasting, do you know?

Depression glass has been very big with States collectors, but the U.K. appears not to have specifically produced glass described as such, and we tend currently not to see much States material on the GMB, and probably even less from Oz.
Have you tried other glass forums with this question?

Sorry to be negative  -  hopefully someone here might recognize your piece. :)       It won't help with attribution, but will be of interest if you will provide details of height.   thanks.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 07:26:54 PM »
It looks like a sprayed on colour to me. I don't know if that is something Crown Crystal did. A base shot might be helpful

Edit. It looks like they did. I found several more items in this colour along with other colours that also appear spray painted

Offline LucasAtko

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »
Hi everyone, thank you so much for the information.
I just measured the vase and it's 20cm high, 12cm wide at the top and 19cm wide at the base.
It appears possibly painted on the outside but it doesn't look like a home job. Any further guidance would be greatly appreciated. Photos of base added.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 07:09:07 AM »
Sprayed on colour is a common commercial technique, so I reckon your vase is good

Offline LucasAtko

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 08:27:26 AM »
Thank you very much for your help. Whereabouts did you find similar sprayed pieces? I've been searching high and low and haven't been able to locate any

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:02:53 AM »
There's quite a bit of information on the board about Crown Crystal, it might be worth your while using the search function at the top of the page to have a look through older posts.  The link below is to my labelled piece in, what I think is called, fired vitreous enamel finish, which appears to be similar to the finish on your piece, although a different colour and pattern.

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,68258.msg379690.html#msg379690

There is also a vase on this link that has areas which appear to be very similar in colour to your piece

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,30506.msg165333.html#msg165333

And a book has been produced which includes some catalogues

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,19294.msg111487.html#msg111487

Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 06:52:47 PM »
so not a sprayed on paint finish  - but fired enamel?             Pieces that I see, commonly, in charity shops that do have painted finishes, frequently show the paint to be chipping off  -  they don't look to have the same quality as this one  -  but I've no idea as to the origin of painted pieces.

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 07:24:19 PM »
I know what you mean Paul......I think those are described as "applied coating", it's more like a film.  I couldn't "easily" scrape off the colour on my bowl.  Not even sure I could if I tried harder, but I'm not going to find out!  So there does appear to be something different in the way the colour is applied, or treated.  I had a quick look on CMOG, but not much help.  Will try again if I get time, but someone else may well have the answer already.
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2020, 08:08:20 PM »
It's fired after spraying. Chance used it on some pieces

I just did a Google images search for Crown Crystal glass

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum