No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Venini Paperweight  (Read 8373 times)

Offline lenore

• Members
Unusual Venini Paperweight
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 06:42:00 PM »
Here is a website that towards the bottom shows the engraved Venini signature.... http://www.jetsetmodern.com/greatglass1.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 06:43:06 PM »
they did use a vibro point, just taking some photos
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 06:48:20 PM »
cheers Ray

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 09:04:42 PM »
I have sent the pics to a Venini collector and he feels it is genuine. Also, if you take a look at many of the pieces with this signature (like the Occhi vase), it is like the one that is on this weight. Back to my original question, what is the technique on the millefiori?
Thanks, Lenore

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 11:03:25 PM »
Hi Lenore,

The "technical" term for the pattern of this weight is "Carpet Ground", which is used when the entire pattern covers the whole of the view and is made up of the same canes. But for the better carpet ground weights (French 19th century, for example) the pattern will include other canes set within the "carpet" - such as in this St Louis weight:
http://www.kevh.clara.co.uk/exhib99/Antique/French/StLouis/SLCarpet25.htm

I know very little about Murano weights and so I cannot say whether yours is or is not by Venini. However, Ray is correct in pointing out that the Chinese have made this style of weight. I have a trade catalogue from Zibo Zhaohai Light Industrial Products, dated 2000, which shows several very similar weights.

This scan shows just two examples, which are actually very well formed (at least, from the top view):
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3014

I was a bit concerned about the look of the base of your weight as it seems to have a non-round finish and also has what look like "bevelled" parts. And there does not appear to be any obvious wear to the base, either, suggesting a modern item (or one kept in a cabinet all its life?).
KevinH

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 11:38:49 PM »
Here is a pic of a Venini decanter we had that has the engraved signature that didn't have two dots over the i.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2006, 06:36:57 PM »
Just to stick my oar in on this one, though my paperweight knowledge is minimal, below is a picture of a Venini weight I own and though this has the acid circular signature from the 1950's which I'm pretty sure is OK, the level of decoration within the weight is not what I'd have expected for the usual Venini standards. I'm wondering therefore since cane weights are far from the norm for Venini if these were only done for commisions maybe for trade freebies if that may explain the suspect quality. Just a thought.

http://i8.tinypic.com/25u4s2v.jpg

Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 05:30:17 AM »
Hi Everyone!
Just took a peak at the Paperweight forum and saw this topic took off in a few directions I wansnt even thinking about....
As for the Venini weights, I do have to say I've seen, at auction, a few paperweights signed and with the "carpet ground" listed before. Within the last 3 months there have been 2 of them if Im not mistaken. The 2 of them were completely white (also with the "carpet ground"), which is a color I would think Venini would use for their weights. I didnt look closely at how they were signed. Now I think I really should have because it would have been a great help on this case.
The only others I've seen signed have been newer weights in the form of disks with a totally different signature. Those were very colorful.

As far as it being a fake? I have no idea.
All the Venini signatures I have on my items look etched in, not drilled, except for a Venini fazzoletto vase dated 2000.

Paul, thats an interesting weight? Is it initails on top?

Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 03:32:30 PM »
Yes initialled MA which makes me think a commisioned piece for a company or organisation.
On the engraved signatures on Venini these are nearly always accompanied by a date.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline lenore

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 01:18:13 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I really don't know what to think at this point! I would like to sell this weight but now I am not sure whether I can call it a Venini weight. Oh well!
Lenore

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand