No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: nuutajärvi from 1957 - but who....? = Jaakko Niemi  (Read 7830 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
nuutajärvi from 1957 - but who....? = Jaakko Niemi
« on: January 04, 2005, 01:24:15 PM »
can anyone guess who this is?
http://www.xs4all.nl/~abel/question/nuutasig.jpg
watch out it is rather a large photograph.
Ivo

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 04:28:36 PM »
It looks like J. Niemi and I found a few results for Jaakko Niemi in Google in connection with art glass from that time frame.  One Finnish link actually mentios him as having been one of the master glass blowers in the Nuutajärvi Glassworks at the same time as Kaj Franck was designing for Nuutajärvi and that sometimes his (and other glass blowers') works are sold as Kaj Frank's designs.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »
Fantastic - this one had me puzzled for more than 10 years. A little googling allowed me to see other works from the same artist and I can confirm that the style is in keeping.  Loud round of applause for Tmaritta from me!!!!

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 05:52:25 PM »
Well spotted tmaritta. The word under Niemi, appears to be "lasinpuhaltaja"
The searches come back as the Finnish word for glass-blower.
What is the item, Ivo? a plate??? If so, the last word may be "protoje"....

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 07:06:56 PM »
Well you asked Ivo, but as I am a bit puzzled about your question, I'm going to comment anyhow.  Do you mean the words engraved on the glass below the signature?  Those are Nuutajärvi and below that Notsjö (which is the Swedish name of Nuutajärvi).  

Just to add to my previous note:  The finnish language source about Finnish (designer) glass collecting mentioned that Kaj Franck was reluctant to have his name engraved on his designs (the article referred to designs from the end of 60s), so sometimes they only bear the name of Nuutajärvi.  That has lead to designs by these three master glass blowers (lasinpuhaltaja) - Unto Suominen, Onni Nurminen and Jaakko Niemi - being offered as Kaj Franck's designs.

Sklounion

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 07:27:49 PM »
Thanks, try as I might, I have had trouble with this, trying to manipulate the image in order to read it, and that was the best I could get....Now you point it out, its obvious......but still looks bad on here.
Lessons in sticking to my own field, taken on board...... :D

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 07:49:48 PM »
Well,  I obviously have an advantage here in deciphering Finnish names. Also let's blame it on Ivo - the picture wasn't that clear!  :D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 08:43:59 AM »
And I was so proud of the picture! Because it has a flat base I could use the scanner and scanned the sig at 600 Dpi, then enhanced the image. No camera involved.

The piece itself is this one:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~abel/question/niemi.jpg

And as for Finnish: I tried, I really tried - but after yksi kaksi kolme it takes me a full minute to come up with neljä and three minutes to remember visi - the rest takes just too long, so I am quite happy to leave it to the Fins!

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 01:01:24 PM »
Ivo: A very interesting piece of Finnish glass. Are we looking at a soldid form within a form or has the artist/designer captured air within the design to create the internal shape. An interesting technical question.
Best
Bill Geary

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 01:08:20 PM »
yes it is an donut-shape (excuse the merkinism) air pocket in a solid piece of glass and it encircles the 'vase' opening. Obviously not something for a beginning glassmaker. The diameter is 9 cm (3 1/2 ")

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand