No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: G Hadella? on Gozo  (Read 3050 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: G Hadella? on Gozo
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »
I've never seen the Crystal Blue Stripe sort of pattern produced by either Mtarfa, or Phoenician.
Phoenician did do an ochre/bubbly stripe moulded pattern, and the one with a blue background and the "spread" ochre streak, and they used two different textures of background blue, one in which there are clear blobs of blue, heavily spread over a clear gather.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2015, 10:23:35 AM »
I don't think Mtarfa made this shape dump Patrick.
I find strange that both of these unusually signed 'Cittadella' ones both have flat but unpolished bases. I would think is not normal for Mdina especially if it was a gift shop order?
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 10:56:21 AM »
Flat bases, not polished to a high shine, (almost satinated in appearance) are fairly common for later ('80s -> '90s) Mdina.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »
Thanks Sue :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
My problem is I don't know I know these things until it comes up in a query, such as this.
I'm afraid I'm not able to pull it all out of my head as a coherent load of info., not without the prompt of a query :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 02:15:42 PM »
the numbering written on them looks like some of the numbering written on Mdina, (the kind nobody knows any meaning for yet), and so there is every possibility they were made at Mdina for something or somebody else.

Hi Sue, can you show us any examples of this numbering please?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 02:22:48 PM »
They're on the sort of stuff I don't collect, but I may have something stashed away somewhere. I'll have a look.
There have been images posted here several times - folk have a tendency to ask what they mean in a posting, but sadly, nobody can provide a decent answer.
Numbers such as 03 or 09, might concievably refer to a date.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »
Mdina numbering has always been a bit of a mystery to determine. The below linked thread reply 8 by Mark Hill in 2007 highlights some of the difficulties in trying to determine these codes/numbers, such as 'what the number actually is', 'where it is', and 'when the piece was made'. Amongst many of their meanings they can refer to 'the shape number', 'the order number for a clients particular order', 'the clients reference number', and 'date'.......

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,11201.0.html

Current/ very recent production also confuses the issue slightly, the codes on the bases of the two paperweights in the following thread I gather relate to both the shape and colour after contacting Mdina a couple of years back.  I gather the year would also be engraved under these codes, however, seems to be absent from these two examples........

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46503.msg261925.html#msg261925

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand