No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you help identify this signed art glass? ID = Mtarfa  (Read 3223 times)

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
Can you help identify this signed art glass? ID = Mtarfa
« on: August 28, 2006, 03:05:36 AM »
The colors and texture on this piece are exquisite. While the underlying or base glass ranges from clear to a dark amber, almost black, the exterior crackled glass is in shades of tan and turquoise blue with a beautiful iridescence playing across the whole.

The smooth, deeply dimpled base has neither a broken pontil nor any sign of grinding, leading me to surmise that the object was attached to the blowpipe at the top, which was then fire polished.  There is a great deal of wear evident on the base which appears to be natural, and not the result of any attempt to deceive.

The negatives are as follows:

A)  I can not make out the signature or the second mark which may be the letter "V" with a long tail and two numbers beneath it, or possibly two letters Z in which the tail of the first leads directly into the top of the second.  I am not at all familiar with glass made by Durand, but the crackle finish and what may, or may not be the letter V following the name, has led me to wonder if it might possibly be one of their early pieces.

B) I don't know what to call it.  It is five and 1/2" across, by 3" high, with a 1/4" hole in the top.  Does that make it a vase, a bowl, or something else?

Clicking on the thumbnails should enlarge them  considerably. Still other views of the object can be seen in my album.

Any information or guesses will be greatly appreciated.

Paul ADK

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Can you help identify this signed art glass?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 08:13:31 AM »
:D :D :D

I'm a bit confused by the picture - s. There is a beautiful round pot vase, that reminds me a bit of pieces I've seen in IoWSG Archives that are called British Museum design, by Timothy Harris.

http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/Sold_Archive.htm

Scroll down for the British Museum bits.

There is a thumbnail picture of a signature mark that looks like Mtarfa, that I can't get to go bigger - it just leads to the pot.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 09:06:45 AM »
I was thinking it looked like a Mtarfa signature too Sue.  Paul, if you search this board for Mtarfa, a number of signatures come up within threads, if you would like comparisons.

PS:  meant to add...it's a lovely little pot!!
I am not a man

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 11:53:39 AM »
Re. enlargement of the thumbnail, it appears my host has again changed the format.  Clicking on the picture will take you to the site, where cycling through the pictures by clicking next three times will bring you to a much enlarged picture of the signature.  again I apologise.  I did not intend to run viewers all around Robin Hood's barn, just to see the signiture.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 03:09:34 PM »
Paul, the BB code for the thumbnails had got itself into a tangle so wasn't displaying correctly. It's sorted now and the thumbnails work as they should.

I do agree that the signature looks like Mtarfa as well. It's a super pot - I've not seen this from Mtarfa before.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Can you help identify this signed art glass? ID = Mtarfa
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »
Images are no longer available. Is there any chance of adding them as attachments please?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand