No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: How many Franklin Mint Great Leaders sulphides were made?  (Read 6766 times)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
How many Franklin Mint Great Leaders sulphides were made?
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 09:56:05 PM »
Quote from: "KevH"
If my maths are correct, 6,800 units over three years, where a "working year" = 240 days, means a production rate of under 10 units per day. Not such a tall order as it may seem, particularly if they had, say, a 300-day "working year".

....and the thing about sulphides is that they didn't take up the lamp-workers' time, only the dome-makers.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 12:02:49 AM »
... yes, although there is also the cutting of good quality facets to take account of  :)
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Liz

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 12:13:44 PM »
From "A History of Baccarat Modern Paperweights":

" The story of contemporary Baccarat sulphide paperweights would not be complete, however, if we failed to mention the weights which Baccarat was commissioned to make for the Franklin Mint:

The first series, commissioned through us, Baccarat, Inc., in conjuction with Paul Jokelson, President of the Paperweights Collectors' Association of America, was made to commemorate men whose writings or actions made the American Revolution possible. Five Frenchmen were selected by the Franklin Mint, to be made by Baccarat: Montesquieu, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Louis XVI, LaFayette and Admiral de Grasse. As a counterpart, Crtal d'Albret in France, represented in the USA by Paul Jokelson, made the following five American subjects for Franklin Mint: Franklin, Jefferson, Washington, John Paul Jones and John Adams.

A second seriesby the Franklin Mint, representing historical world leaders: Julius Ceaser, Alexander the Great,, etc. was contracted for directly with Cristallaries de Baccarat in Paris and is currently in production. ( December 1977)

There is a difference, however, in lightness and aspect between the weights made for the Franklin Mint and our own Baccarat weights. The latter are a little smaller and as, pointed out earlier the sulphide in them, always made by a noted French sculptor, is floating inside the weight instead of lying directly on the colored background, as it does in the Franklin Mint weights. This makes it possible also to cut a clear star in the colored background, which thus adds to the general lightness of the weight."

No mention of the production numbers, though!
Liz

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand