No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Rummer  (Read 1955 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Victorian Rummer
« on: May 01, 2020, 09:24:21 AM »
This Victorian rummer with a design lozenge may be of interest. The lozenge dates it to the 16th. of June and what I hope is a U for 1848 or if not an incomplete O for 1862, I can't decide which. I've looked on the great-glass website but there isn't an RD number which corresponds to either of these dates. I've also added a photo of some other glasses, the one on the right and the one second left I think are Victorian, the other two I'm not sure of the age.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Victorian Rummer
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
This is the 'teardrop' version of RD 198277, registered by James Derbyshire & Brother, Hulme, Manchester, on 16 June 1866 - Parcel 4. The lozenge should read (clockwise from the top) Q-16-4-M.

See: https://sites.google.com/site/molwebbhistory/Home/registered-designs/derbyshire-brothers-designs-by-date/derbyshire-brothers-1866-1869.

Design representation below.

Fred.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 11:27:41 AM »
Thanks very much Fred. I would never have taken the year letter to be a Q. Also the link you sent is excellent.

Nev

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 12:11:00 PM »
There seem to be a few around, recent find  ;D ;D ;D

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 01:32:12 PM »
The diagram does not match these glasses.  ???
It has extra under-loops between the top ones.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 03:00:31 PM »
Yes Keith I've seen some online. I found mine on a shelf full of glasses and it called to me and when I saw the lozenge I had to buy it. Sue M, if you click on the google link Fred gave it shows the two different designs given the one RD number.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »
 :) Got it, thanks Nev.
I'm getting confused as I (currently) have a similar goblet too. I've promised it to Keith and just had to unwrap it to check it again. ;D
No lozenge. It's very, very like the ones Nev and Keith show, and the other pattern shown in the link, but it isn't.
The base of the stem is slightly different. The part which flares onto the base is bigger, and the foot is wider than the bowl
The ones shown have a rondel in the centre of the loops, this has a more petal shape which extends to the bottom and the shape there is flat - a straight line in the mould.
It was made in a 3 part mould, faint mould lines on the base only.
It also looks as if the shape of the bowl is more straight and upright, the pics here show it to be slightly flared?
It's an ancient thing from a family cupboard.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2020, 08:54:36 PM »
a picture can be worth more than words  -  will be interesting if we're able to see some pix, please.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 11:42:27 AM »
I am well aware of that, but my old pc died and photos from the camera refuse point blank to download into the new one. Even photos I can download (from eg. an email attachment) only turn up in their own window on the desktop and I can't store them anywhere - there isn't a file or something somewhere for them to go.

You'll just have to wait until I can send it to Keith and ask him to post it.  :)

I do really think it belongs with these, somewhere and somehow. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 12:46:00 PM »
thanks yours of the 5th inst.  -  comments noted ;D               Gosh you are lucky Keith  -  wish someone would send me a rummer (though second thoughts think I'd prefer the rum) -  anyway all down to you now, and waiting to see some pix soonest. ;) ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand