No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pauline Solven  (Read 21441 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Pauline Solven
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2008, 12:12:36 PM »
 :thup:

Seems our early pieces have even more in common than I thought!

I think these tiny dust-like bubbles are a feature of glass which hasn't been treated to remove them from the metal in the pot.

I am trying to gather together a small collection of these very early Glasshouse and RCA pieces. I find them absolutely fascinating - of more interest often than much later pieces, after the artist beomes established.
I love the incongruity of the art "speaking" through the struggle of the mastering.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
I think Paul moved to Corfu didn't he?  Probably sailing around in a boat, not thinking too much about glass...

I had a good look through my pics to see if I kept any pictures of the little sculpture before I sold it, and I don't seem to have kept it - then I remembered that Paul had put her up for sale, so I did an eBay search (I can search back 90 days with Terapeak).  Looks like Paul sold her to someone, who then sold her on,  he must have been very disappointed with the sale price I must say...  :cry:

Here is the sale - it won't be on eBay for long, I have emailed the seller to ask if we may put the picture here for future reference, I'll let you know if I hear from him.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200255642598

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2008, 12:31:58 PM »
I think I'm the opposite of you, Sue - I usually much prefer work by artists at the peak of their game when they can (hopefully) completely actualise their intent.

Wow - £25 for the sculpture? Someone got a bit of a bargain there! Although I have seen similar pieces in past (bricks and mortar) auctions reach similarly nugatory sums. It seems buyers like colour when it comes to her work.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 12:46:38 PM »
 ;D

I'd remembered it, but thanks ever so much, Lynne! Yup total disappointment about the price, (I haven't ebayed for years).

The glasshouse tree booklet says;- "It was in 1969, a year after I left the Royal College....."
Yours could actually be an RCA piece, do you think? WERE there hot glass facilities OTHER than at the RCA in London at this time?

I have a piece signed "Wayne Filan, 1970, London". He was an American, (over on a sabbatical????) I can see a serious Sam Herman "influence", and cannot imagine it would have been made anywhere else.
Being clear, it doesn't go well from a 3-D to a 2-D image.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/WayneFilan1.jpg

The colour of the fins on your piece, Nic, looks to me to be very like the colour of a very early fish vase made by Michael Harris at the RCA.
(I missed it on ebay a good while ago  :cry: :cry: :cry: it's in America, I think. Ron Wheeler has an image of it.)

So that blue, (if it is that blue) was melted in the RCA pots.

;D ;) ;D But when the pieces are early they're a bit more affordable!
I'm a nitpicker for detail when doing something myself - I improve it and improve it until it's completely destroyed and broken and useless.

I really admire abstract, the fluidity and wildness of it, because I'm a (self-)control freak and can't do it myself!

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2008, 01:07:32 PM »
I really wouldn't like to speculate on if mine is an RCA piece - I just assumed not with it being marked 'London', rather than specifically for the college, as with yours.

I'm completely new to studio glass, really, owning just these two pieces. But it is an area that's beginning to intrigue me. I did, unfortunately, narrowly miss out on an amazing Sam Herman vase on eBay last month - part of the series illustrated in the bottom left illustration on the first page of this article:

http://vads.ahds.ac.uk/diad/article.php?title=266&year=1971&article=d.266.26

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2008, 01:44:56 PM »
 >:D
I think that this speculation requires validation (or not, obviously!) Nic.

These, as Adam :thup: said earlier, are of serious historical interest and value well beyond the monetary.

(I still need to get my "Sams" photographed.)

Adam :-* pretty please, anything you can tell us?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2008, 03:24:49 PM »
I have permission from the seller to use his photograph, and save it here, so here it is in case anyone wants to see it in the future.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »
 :hiclp: :thup: :hiclp:
Thanks for your trouble, Lynne, and thanks to the seller too!

I'll get pics of Annette Meech and Dillon Clarke from this period too, if they're deemed appropriate. All this will make a very nice little historical archive indeed. (IMNSHO)
 :chky: Golly-Gosh, I've really enjoyed this today.  :chky: Thanks to all of you. :fwr:
Sue.xxx
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »
(just checked the website for the booklet - it's gone up to £5.99, but still seems to be available.)

Available from Amazon at £4.79 +postage http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studio-Glass-1960-2000-Shire-Album/dp/074780527X :)

I think Paul moved to Corfu didn't he?

Crete I think, Lynne... still warmer and sunnier than England, (said she, shivering!!!) whichever it was!  >:D  ;D
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2008, 06:27:39 PM »
Quote from: Anne
I think Paul moved to Corfu didn't he?

Crete I think, Lynne... still warmer and sunnier than England, (said she, shivering!!!) whichever it was!  >:D  ;D

Ah, probably, senior wise I got as far as the first letter, then my brain gave out... :ac1:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand