No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 3 Sets glasses, AHW, Ravenhead?  (Read 8803 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
3 Sets glasses, AHW, Ravenhead?
« on: August 28, 2006, 03:07:08 PM »
Three sets of glasses:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3027

I think these ones are 'Slim Jims', but I haven't been able to find out if they're AHW or not.  I think they are, going from previous designs.  :?: If they're Ravenhead, they'll be post 1960 when three colours were introduced. (McConnell)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3026

Boxed set Ravenhead 'Chunkies*' in Diamante pattern.  *Note the contour to the base which sets them apart from other designs.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3029

AHW for either Ravenhead or Sherdley (20th Century Factory Glass (new Edition), Jackson.  I like to find out which factory produced them.  :D

I've got at least another couple of boxes of sets in the loft, but I can't find them.  :x   I'll post single glasses if anyone's interested later.   :wink:
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 03:18:04 PM »
I'll readily admit my shortcomings with regard to Ravenhead and Alexander Hardie Williamson (AHW) designs, so other people's input will be most welcome.

The second photo is definitely of Ravenhead Chunkies  :roll:  :lol:

However, if anyone's interested, they have a full(?) set of all AHW designs at Himley Hall — I believe Broadfield House had first dibs when they cleared AHW's house after his death :shock:
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 03:30:54 PM »
However, if anyone's interested, they have a full(?) set of all AHW designs at Himley Hall — I believe Broadfield House had first dibs when they cleared AHW's house after his death

I'd really like to see that.  I really should take a trip one day.   :D

This was just an opportunity to put my other type of glass on the board, I don't know anyone else (Sue perhaps?) that has any of it.  At least I've finally got round to taking photo's now though.  :D

...and it means I don't have to trawl through the loft again - that's a good thing.  :wink:
I am not a man

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 03:32:01 PM »
Max, I've posted a new thread to show the photo I took of all these designs.

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6972.0.html

When time permits, I'll try and take a photo for each shelf and post them on the new thread.

Thanks for sharing these examples.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: 3 Sets glasses, AHW, Ravenhead?
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 03:35:01 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
Three sets of glasses:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3027

I think these ones are 'Slim Jims', but I haven't been able to find out if they're AHW or not.  I think they are, going from previous designs.  :?: If they're Ravenhead, they'll be post 1960 when three colours were introduced. (McConnell)

Definitely Ravenhead Slim Jims, Max. I've seen a boxed set of these but I haven't a note of if a designer's name was shown on the box or not.  :?

Edited to add: I hadn't seen David's reply above when I posted this one.  :roll:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 03:50:07 PM »
Thanks for that Anne :D  :D

Great photo David, and I'd love to see a photo of each shelf when you have the time.  I think I can see another design there that I've dishwashed so much the transfer is coming off.  Oops.   :roll:
I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
I thought the link to the Cambridge Glass Fair foyer exhibition on AHW might be useful in this thread?  

...more than just slim jims...
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 04:20:49 PM »
Thanks Anne, I'd forgotten about that one :oops:
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline roget123

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006, 08:05:53 PM »
Hi Max,

Your first photo is Ravenhead T1190 weathercock Slim Jims designed by AHW as all Ravenhead Slim Jims were.
Information about AHW designs can be obtained from Broadfield House who published a booklet titled "Slim Jims & Tubbies, the life and work of Alexander Hardie Williamson" - this booklet has been mentioned un other threads on the subject of AHW, Sherdley and Ravenshead.
hope this helps
 p.s Do not forget that similar glasses was made by the French and examples are often seen in UK fairs.

Geoff
Geoff Timberlake
Glass Anorak !!!

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006, 09:50:25 PM »
Hi, Max.

Weathercock appears in a Ravenhead advert David sent me dated December 1964, just at the time production was moved from Sherdley to Ravenhead.

I don't know the pattern name for the swirly conicals, but they're definitely Ravenhead. The packaging I've seen them in is a pinky-purple carrypack, which is different to the pale green carrypack that appears in the 1964 ads. So I think they must be a later design. The colours and pattern look a bit 70s to me.

The Diamante pattern appears in a Ravenhead advert launching the new chunkie shape - I think also in 1964. I have a theory (can't remember if I've mentioned it here before - apologies if I have) that the chunkie replaced the (barrel-shaped) chubbie shape. But that's only a hypothesis, just waiting to be knocked down - so if anyone has any examples of chubbies in Ravenhead packaging, I'd be very interested.

As far as I know, all the screen-printed designs were by AHW. According to McConnell, the conical was an existing Sherdley shape, but all the other shapes were designed by AHW.

Would love to see your other designs, Max - and anyone else who's got any. I'm trying to piece together as many as I can. And likewise, I MUST get to grips with my digital camera, so I can post some images of the designs I have - at the moment I only have images from e-bay sellers that I can't post here (at least I don't think I can - any copyright lawyers out there?) but could e-mail on a personal basis if anyone's interested.
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand