No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Chance 'Tinted' Handkerchief/Posy Vases (not Aqualux!)  (Read 1804 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Chance 'Tinted' Handkerchief/Posy Vases (not Aqualux!)
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:45:48 PM »
Now for the news... I visited Graham Cooley this afternoon and spent a few hours photographing part of his Chance collection. We managed to put together an excellent display of four 5" Posy Vases ALL in gingham, along with a 7" white Gingham! We threw in a bog-standard 4" model for reference.

Now posted on the Handkerchief Gallery page 8) More photos to follow of other Chancey bits.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 02:08:50 PM »
Here it is, (mentioned in cafe link).  I've had another look, and think it might be the chiselled effect one, with longer grooves, that you mention???  For some reason I had Aqualux in my mind, but that has a beaten copper effect :roll:  If you want a pic. against white, I'll get one done.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/misc745.jpg
Anne E.B

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 02:59:28 PM »
Hi Anne,

I think I better make a quick statement to make sure we're all singing from the same hymn sheet.

The term 'Aqualux' should really be used to define slumped glassware produced by Chance around 1939. A photo of this can be seen in LJ's 20thC Factory Glass.

Chance never referred to the coloured, textured glassware produced in the mid-1960s as 'Aqualux', but always called it 'Antique'. But this is a popular misconception that I think everyone has fallen into. I'm currently trying to reverse the myth that has been perpetuated, including by me! :oops:

The texture for your green vase is actually called 'Cotswold': similar to a dry-stone wall in Cotswold stone, I suppose. Again, in the absence of anything else to call them names like 'bark', 'hammered', 'dimpled' have been used in the past, BUT I do now have the official names for the textures:

'bark' = Cotswold
'dimpled' = Hammered
'hammered' = Flemish (small dimples, but not as pronounced as 'Hammered')
'large hammered' = Large Flemish

The 'chisel' texture is one I've been using to distinguish between this and 'Hammered' as they're quite similar. This texture has longer grooves, not unlike the gouge a chisel would make. The grooves also have a light texture in them as well. I have purchased a posy vase using this texture so will post it soonest.

Don't worry about this understandable mistake: the incorrect expressions are still commonly used on eBay, so it's a matter of time.

I have actually made changes to the site a few days ago to include the new names and textures - see:

Fiestaware > Patterns > 'Antique' Coloured page and the Aqualux (1939) page
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
Wood Lice Texture?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 12:30:58 PM »
I now have an example of the 'Chisel' texture that I keep banging on about :wink: – I think Sue mentioned it early on in this thread, but I've no idea where now! :roll: One thing about this texture is that I don't see it very much at all...

Quite easy to get confused with the 'Hammered' (dimpled) texture, but the 'grooves' in the glass are elongated and have a 'line' texture within them. I've likened it to the gouges a chisel would make, but it did occur to me it looks like a mass of wriggling wood lice! :lol:

http://www.chanceglass.net/photos/aqualux/col-blue-chisel.jpg
http://www.chanceglass.net/photos/aqualux/col-blue-chisel2.jpg
http://www.chanceglass.net/photos/aqualux/col-amber-dimple.jpg
From left:
1. Chisel texture on Posy Vase
2. Close-up of Chisel (yay, wood lice! :P )
3. Hammered texture on Posy Vase shown for comparison.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand