No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ricepaper Doily 14" Pink Platter - ID = Sydenstricker Glass  (Read 11418 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Ricepaper Doily 14" Pink Platter - Is that how they do
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2006, 03:22:57 PM »
The more examples we find of any mark the better it will help us ID things, so thanks for adding yours into the Labels album David. :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline catshome

• Members
    • Most glass and studio pottery
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2006, 03:31:19 PM »
Closest to the second one but still missing the last a - but it could just be that whoever did the signature didn't press hard enough at the end!

Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2006, 06:08:28 PM »
My Mtarfa paperweight doesn't have an 'a' either. See http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4334.0.html Click thumbnail to enlarge

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2006, 06:19:22 PM »
It could definitely pass as a Mtarfa signature, but it would be even more convincing if we knew that they had ever made anything like this.  So far, I've found vases and paperweights and a rather nice bowl is listed on ebay at the moment :

eBay Item
Moderator: URL link shortened

...............but no plates...............

It's been interesting finding out about the Mtarfa glass anyway!

Thank you all
Cat
Cat 😺

"There is very little knowledge that can't be obtained through effort"  -  Mark Cuban

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 09:40:31 AM »
:D
I've not said anything because I'm clueless. :?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
Re: Ricepaper Doily 14" Pink Platter = ID Sydenstricker Glass Cape Cod
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 05:28:56 PM »
YAY!!!!  Have finally identified this piece.  It is a 14" cake plate in the LM Embassy pattern made by Sydenstricker Glass in Cape Cod. 

They have quite a lot of information on their website so I thought the link might be helpful. http://www.sydenstricker.com/main.cfm?page=history.cfm 

This is what they say about the process "Two sheets of glass are cut to fit a mold made out of high fire terra cotta clay. The first sheet is decorated by sifting powdered glass through a stencil. The stencil is then carefully removed, and the second sheet of glass is laid over the decorated first piece. Both are placed on a mold and put into a fifteen hundred degree kiln for five hours. At this point, the two pieces of glass fuse, assuming the shape of the mold and locking in the colored design. The kiln is then turned off until the glass is cooled, about 40 hours later".

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts.

Cat
Cat 😺

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Ricepaper Doily 14" Pink Platter - Is that how they do
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2012, 05:38:04 PM »
Peggy Kerr?

Offline catshome

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 05:50:05 PM »
Hello Ivo,

The clocks look interesting..........but this plate isn't hers. 

I thought I'd be very good and go and update the descriptions on the glass gallery website and I found that in 2006 Mike had added a comment to the picture to say Sydenstricker............ lol.   What a shame he didn't add the info to the thread - he would have saved me a further almost 6 years of trying to figure it out!

Take care
Cat
Cat 😺

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 11:46:45 PM »

YAY!!!!  Have finally identified this piece.  It is a 14" cake plate in the LM Embassy pattern made by Sydenstricker Glass in Cape Cod. 

They have quite a lot of information on their website so I thought the link might be helpful. http://www.sydenstricker.com/main.cfm?page=history.cfm 

This is what they say about the process "Two sheets of glass are cut to fit a mold made out of high fire terra cotta clay. The first sheet is decorated by sifting powdered glass through a stencil. The stencil is then carefully removed, and the second sheet of glass is laid over the decorated first piece. Both are placed on a mold and put into a fifteen hundred degree kiln for five hours. At this point, the two pieces of glass fuse, assuming the shape of the mold and locking in the colored design. The kiln is then turned off until the glass is cooled, about 40 hours later".

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts.

Cat

It is what I thought it looked like. I have had two pieces of their glass. I can usually pick out the Syden in the signature, but the end of the name goes off into a straight line.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline vintagerose

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 05:06:26 AM »
Contemporary or not it sure is a beaut   :D
When a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
Henry David Thoreau

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk