No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pendant lamp shade w/ enamel trail/spot decoration - poss. Czech/Austrian/German  (Read 2424 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
After looking at Heckert one thing I noticed is that where they used enamel, it's always very controlled, and where the design is more free-flowing, it's always applied glass.

Still, it's always good to spend a morning looking at very pretty glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
True.

However it is the one example where the use of enamels was varied and stylish ... and I think your lamp is stylish.
I think it's old :)  And I think it's Bohemian.

Possibly the catalogue to look up and find is this one:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/77370-williamsons-teplitz-glass-catalogue

Not the whole cat there unfortunately.  But probably relates to a similar period and eventually the maker of yours might be id'd. 
I think it does look like the one you linked to and perhaps more hope of having that id'd than yours given the decor?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Hi, are you sure it’s a lamp? The chains look to impinge quite badly on the rim which seems an odd design, why wouldn’t they have made the rim a smaller diameter so that the chains clear?

Perhaps those handles are for show and it is supposed to go in a metal stand located on the stepped rim at the bottom.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
They're based on the idea of a Mosque Lamp I always think - so originally designed to hold oil I think?
https://en.expertissim.com/ceramic-mosque-lamp-mamluk-style-12176267

The handles are definitely handles.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
The chains, currently, do impinge on the glass a little, but that's because, at the moment, they come to a single point. I assume, originally, it was furnished with a ceiling rose, or even some kind of spacer bar / faux smut catcher, that held them apart a little wider.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Not the whole cat there unfortunately.  But probably relates to a similar period and eventually the maker of yours might be id'd. 
I think it does look like the one you linked to and perhaps more hope of having that id'd than yours given the decor?

Complete catalogue here: https://archive.org/details/catalogueno15rwi00rwil/mode/2up

Perused it a few days ago, but nothing very close.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Ok. It just seemed unnecessary to have the rim diameter so large, it looks like it’s the widest part so the chains would need to be at least vertical to clear.. You would assume a lamp might be viewed from below so why not make the rim smaller - is it a good design for a lamp? You can see on Flying Free’s second one, the rim is a much smaller diameter in proportion to where the handles are so that the suspension chains don’t interfere.

I was think of it in a stand like this one: https://www.catawiki.com/l/17588351-iridescent-green-glass-vase-on-metal-stand
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
I understand. I mean, it's possible, but there's no indication that it ever had a stand (no rubbing to the sides, for example).

I even considered that it might have been a table lamp shade, one that sits loosely on a gallery, upside-down from its current orientation... but that wouldn't really explain the wear it does have.

It could also have just had a much finer chain on it originally. Mine's just a standard, somewhat wide, modern lighting chain.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
or leather/ cords

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand