No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Michael Harris Axe Vase??  (Read 5418 times)

Offline chuggy

• Members
Large Michael Harris Axe Vase??
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 09:36:48 PM »
Many thanks Ron for taking time to put me straight, my new fish and I can live in harmony now that I know it's pedigree. Much like the fish, I was floundering, but now it's got a plaice in my heart.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 07:54:29 AM »
:D :shock: :D

Hello Paul,
I agree it's a beezer, I'm glad you're keeping this for yourself, (next to giving/selling it to me, first refusal bagged!). I'm delighted you've let your heart rule over it!

Hello Ron,
I'm afraid I think you might be in error here, because I have one of these, 12.25 inches tall, 10.5 inches wide, 2.2 inches deep, and it is signed "Michael Harris, Mdina Glass, Malta."
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Weebeeglass

• Members
    • http://www.artiusglass.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 01:46:24 PM »
Hi All,
Well well, just goes to show you can never say never. But in defence I didn't make a definative statement as someone will always come up with the evidence which will prove you wrong, and you did! Well done Sue. Mike clearly did sign items made by his team if requested but I still think you will find that it was the other glass makers who came up with this shape variation. But again of course you can never be sure. Mike always felt morally obliged to sign any pieces when asked by a customer for a signature and as far as we know during his term they were not signed by any of the others. (Go on then somebody come up with an example !! I can live with it - just ! ) So this could have been made by one of the, then fairly skillfull, team towards the end of Mike's term there and he would have felt obliged to sign it. The interesting fact is that this more extreme shape was not produced at the IoW when he moved there but the rounded shapes were (albeit it fairly close in character)  so it could be assumed that he did not consider that this was his design but a variation. Does that make sense?? No ? Go on then prove me wrong again and I'll go away and forever hold my peace ???!!??!!!!
Is this going to run ?? I don't think I will live that long !!
Ron & Ann

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 02:54:06 PM »
Quote from: josordoni
did you see my question about graal on the Bjorn Stern thread?  What is it exactly?

Do a search on Graal, there are threads, mostly in archive forum with lots of details.

http://www.scotlandsglass.com/People/LindeanMill.htm <---- Mod: Dead link

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 02:57:53 PM »
Thanks Frank, will do.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 04:26:38 PM »
I have just been and read the Hoglund details on their web site. So now I understand that the decoration is inside the glass. Wouls I be correct in thinking that those wonderful vases by Lindstrand with the threads in are made using the Graal technique?
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 06:19:27 PM »
Hi there,

Firstly -- FAB Fish Vase :-D

As Ron says, your vase is from the period after Michael Harris left Malta, in my opinion.

Three quick points:
The more squared off shape with near-horizontal clear 'wings' is the most obvious feature that indicates this. Earlier examples tended to be more rounded in form, as Ron says. However, in the very early days, a shape with heavier, more angular 'wings' was produced. This angular form was continued after he left, but the colours are different and the general weight and the precise shape is different. Early examples also tend to be quite small, perhaps due to the weight of the wings. I'd love to see your signed example in this shape Sue, have you got a pic you can post? It's a new one on me...are the wings angled at all? How exciting!

The precise modelling of this vase, particularly around the base, also indicates a later date to me. I've seen this sort of shape on some of the 110% later pink/blue/white examples.

The browny amethyst tinted colour also tends to be post-Harris -- in this tone. Amethyst purple and a browny purple were used in the very, very early days of the studio, but the colour is quite different, being typically darker and stronger where it does appear.

This probably just confuses matters (not my intention!), but I just thought I'd post something. Still, a cool thing I'd be happy to give shelf room to - good find!
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 08:02:18 AM »
:D :D :D

I'm still camerally challenged, but I've managed to blow up part of an old photograph with my signed fish in the middle of an amethyst shelf.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/aaaaaaxe.jpg <---- Mod: Link dead

I'm getting confused about different amethysts, though, Mark! I do know the later, very purple one, such as is used in the black and silver pattern, there's the one in the two tone ( 8) !) pieces and there's the browny auberginey shade. This fish is a bit auberginey, but it's hard to tell because there is yellow over a good bit of it! It is paler than a quite small  one I have that is amethyst and clear (with the clear inside the vase, amethyst outside - not as fully amethyst as your tiny one, Mark, and not as tiny  :mrgreen:)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »
:? :? :?

The shape is not the same as Paul's, is it!

Mine's much more rounded. I can see I am going to have to add a protractor to the collection of dust bunnies, loups, UV keyrings, reciepts, pens, rubber bands, safety pins and sublimating rhubarb and custard sweeties in the depths of my handbag.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »
Sue, you forgot the torch and the tape measure....

(checking the contents of her handbag for any other essentials....)
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand