No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: OLD? STAMPED "GSU_L (THE S IS IN THE U AND UNDERLINED.  (Read 4937 times)

Dawn

OLD? STAMPED "GSU_L (THE S IS IN THE U AND UNDERLINED.
« on: January 05, 2005, 02:14:09 AM »
OLD, STAMPED "GSU_L (THE S IS IN THE U AND UNDERLINED)...

Trying to find out about the (frosty) glass statuette my Mom gave me a few years ago, she purchased it second hand. It's  about 10" tall and is the Virgin Mary holding the Christ Child; it's in perfect condition. 

I happened to see one similar appearing in the background on the film, "The Thin Man" with William Powell (1930's?).

I am NOT a glass collector; however, this statuette intriques me very much.

Any info appreciated. 

Thanks in advance.   :)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
OLD? STAMPED "GSU_L (THE S IS IN THE U AND UNDERLINED.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 08:20:16 AM »
Dutch. Glasfabriek Leerdam 1930's designer Stephanus Albertus Uiterwaal.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Leerdam Madonna
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 08:24:55 AM »
you have a copy of the Madonna designed by Stef Uiterwaal in 1929 for Royal Leerdam. It has been in constant production since the 30s, most examples date from the 1950s. For some obscure reason they seem to fetch high prices on e-bay - where you should check for pricing details.  It was made in 2 different sizes and it not rare at all....

that IS the madonna. The one without the baby is Theresa.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand