No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please help me try to identify the maker of this vase? ID = Whitefriars  (Read 3414 times)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Hello,

I have this vase or flower pot item that I am attempting to find the maker of. It's about 8 1/2 inches high with a folded over rim. There is a polished pontil mark on the bottom and a faintly acid etched inside of the pontil mark are the words "Made in England". I'm not sure what type of glass this is, but it has a long resounding tone when it is tapped lightly.

Vase

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DogGod/BowlVase.jpg

bottom

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/DogGod/BowlVasebottom.jpg

Any help would gladly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for looking at it.

Mike

nigel benson

please help me try to identify the maker of this vase?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 01:49:36 PM »
Hello,

I haven't checked the message board for some considerable time, but Adam mentioned something that I thought I ought to check out - so here I am.

I came across this entry.

The vase is Powell (Whitefriars) Pattern Number 9168 in the 1938 catalogue and produced in 5 sizes 4", 5 1/2", 6", 7" and 8 1/2" diameter.

Hope this helps, Nigel Benson

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Please help me try to identify the maker of this vase?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 05:08:54 PM »
Good day Nigel,

I haven't been back to check on this for some time and while I do get email notices about the other threads I have posted to here;  I haven't received any regarding this thread when Steve and yourself posted, so I pretty much gave up on it.

Thank you very much for the Powell (Whitefriars) information. I have collected mainly American made glass for many years and have become somewhat bored with it. Because of this site I have gained an interest in Monart and Ysart glass, which I am lucky is easy to find where I live for some odd reason. I will now add Powell (Whitefriars) to my list and if you ever get stuck with some American made glass item you can not find an identification for;  feel free to email me and I'll go through my data base and see what I can find for you.

I also want to say thank you very much to Steve for the Whitefriars link.

Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand