No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Six bowls - Kosta/Warff???  (Read 8911 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Six bowls - Kosta/Warff???
« on: August 31, 2006, 04:11:27 PM »
Hiya, I've got these six glass bowls - textured to the outside and in a sort of stylised flower type shape - I've seen similar shaped bowls being attributed to Kosta Boda and in particular to a designer called Ann Warff (spelling?).  Can anyone confirm or otherwise who these might be by?  TIA

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/6bowls-a0001.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/6bowls-b0001.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/6bowls-c0001.jpg

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 04:41:05 PM »
They look quite Dartington to me, like a smaller version of this one:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320018328482

It seems to be 'cosmic knowledge' now that that 'cactus' is Dartington, but I've not seen one with a sticker on yet.

After all this, someone'll probably come along and say these are Scandinavian!  :lol:
I am not a man

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:51:04 PM »
I have been trying to identify one of these for a freind as he thought it might be Stuart crystal. That was because it was sold to him with a Stuart booklet. But this isn't lead crystal so I thought it was something else and then I saw one on ebay desribed as Ravenshead. And now it might be Dartington glass. Talk about a wild goose chase. :roll:  :lol:
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 04:52:43 PM »
Thanks Max - well spotted, they do look incredibly alike - the bases are different obviously - the 'Dartington' one looks like smooth clear glass mine are textured but otherwise they look pretty much identical.  I'll do a search on Dartington Cactus and see what I come up with.  I regularly see these (probably wrongly) attributed as Kosta Boda so it'd be interesting to know for certain who made them.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 06:46:10 PM »
Dartington Glass catalogues late 60s and some 70s can be found here www.whitefriarsorg.org/memb1/dart/c67.htm but no cactuses!

Not Ravenhead either, quality looks too good.

The Anne Warff candle stick I had had a smooth base.
But these have a textured base...and no manufacturer http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,6197.0.html

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 08:21:18 PM »
hmmmm thanks for the links Christine - I'm not sure where I am now - back at square one probably!  I don't think these are Dartington or Ravenhead either ... the only info I could find was on eBay and, as we all know, one person wrongly attributes something and it snowballs ....

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2006, 05:47:24 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
After all this, someone'll probably come along and say these are Scandinavian!  :lol:

Well - Nordic anyway!

I bought two similar dishes today, one with label.

Whole Thing
Label

Pip - these look flatter than yours, but the points look exactly the same. Looking at the auction for the taller one described as dartington, the points on that one look slightly different?

Having googled, I haven't found anything about the company.
robbo

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2006, 06:31:25 PM »
Quote from: "robbo"
I bought two similar dishes today, one with label.

Whole Thing
Label

Pip - these look flatter than yours, but the points look exactly the same. Looking at the auction for the taller one described as dartington, the points on that one look slightly different?

Having googled, I haven't found anything about the company.

Robbo, you're right - mine are definitely the same as yours - I can even see a faint circular moulding line on the base of yours showing through which mine also have - so I'd say you've managed to put this particular mystery to bed.  I've just sold mine (attributed as probably Scandi) so I'll pass this information on to the buyer who I'm sure will be extremely interested.  Thanks very much for sharing this info - it was really bugging me not knowing!

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2006, 06:58:44 PM »
It might be worth contacting the Mantsala website www.mantsala.fi/english/welcome.htm , which is run by the local council. It's not a very big place so you might just get an answer.

Offline robbo

• Members
  • London, England
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2006, 07:21:25 PM »
Hi Pip,

Good to get this solved! There is definitely a circular mould line on the base  8)
If it makes sense, the two I have are "the same but different" - I think they were possibly done by centrifugal casting (like some of the Humppila things).

It would be good to find out more about this company, since they seem to be the maker of Christine's mystery daisy vase too (and possibly others which will crop up!).

Christine - I'll email the people at Mäntsälä and see if they know more & report back.

I'm still intrigued by the taller one (in the auction) because that looks slightly different in terms of the points (I think they look more regular)?

robbo
robbo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand