No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Gentile Devils Fire paperweight  (Read 4679 times)

Offline myweights

• Members
    • Gopaperweights.com
John Gentile Devils Fire paperweight
« on: September 01, 2006, 05:22:42 PM »
Back during the clichy scramble debacle I had this other weight that I tried to sell. Listed: AMAZING VOLCANIC JG SIGNED LARGE PAPERWEIGHT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-VOLCANIC-JG-SIGNED-LARGE-PAPERWEIGHT_W0QQitemZ260001791665

Hope the link works.

Anyway now it's added to my collection, as it did not sell, really didn't want to... I have to say it's my favorite in my collection and I was most impressed with it all along. It's just right up my alley I guess. So anyway I got to researching this JG and it turns out it is John Gentile. Also I stumbled on this "devils fire" type on a site researching another weight millville, I'm currently selling...
I guess my question is does anyone have any reference on John Gentile and if he produced mass quantity of this type weight or could be an even more special addition to my collection than I was aware of? I also realize the angle in which it was photo'd for the auction was way off to showcase the spalsh effect within the weight better... Will try a couple new pics here...

Also would like to wish him peace as I found he passed in Feb this yr...
Thanks for any info!
Mark E.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Derek

• Members
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 08:05:33 PM »
Hi Mark

There is a book which I can highly recommend that has loads about John, Gertrude and Peter Gentile and the Gentil glass co. Also a load of other makers of that era - such as Hamon, Hacker, Larson, Degenhart, Hansen, Iorio, Kaziun to name but a few.

It title is "American Glass Paperweights and their makers" written by Jean Melvin.

It is OOP but there are plenty of used copies if you check abebooks.co.uk Make sure you go for the revised edtion - 280 pages so a good read !

Suggest you do as I did - get one from the US and get them to ship it in a global express envelope which in my experience is just as quick as getting Royal Mail to send it inland and only costs $9.50!!

There are currently 5 copies listed in the US at £10 or less. Cheapest one located in the UK is £40 !!

Hope this helps

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
RE: Gentile Devil's Fire Weight
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 04:43:18 PM »
Yes, I'd say it is special as I've only seen 3 of these, yours being the 3rd, the 2nd being in my collection, the first selling on ebay at a price much higher than you were asking, all with the frit ''JG'' signature cane.
He seldomly used the signature cane in his weights.

In general, Gentile weights are a dime a dozen but his crimp roses & devil's fire weights are rare, indeed  :)

Offline myweights

• Members
    • Gopaperweights.com
cool
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 04:01:48 AM »
Thanks Mark.
To me it's been a treasured showpiece in my collection, and that's for sure where it's going to remain. (don't quote me on the for sure part I just got my nerve wrecked) lol
Is yours predominantly red also?
Later for now,
Mark E.

Offline m1asmithw8s

• Members
    • http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/m1asmith/
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 05:52:14 AM »
Yes it is predominantly red. It has some copper aventurine in it too.

Email me @  m1asmith@aol.com  for some pics as I am unable to upload (again) to my Glass Queries gallery.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 02:08:53 PM »
If you are using GlassGallery you need to remember that it has 2 size limits which are the only things that should prevent you uploading accepted filetypes if you are logged in*  Images must be less than 200kb in size and smaller than 1000 pixels x 1000 pixels in dimensions. Anything larger will fail and give you an error message.  If you are are having other problems and your images are within these limits please e-mail me directly with the problem details and I'll try and sort it out for you. :)

* Note some albums don't require you to be logged in but your personal ones and some others, of course, do.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline myweights

• Members
    • Gopaperweights.com
this paperweight
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 05:05:51 PM »
Well I have enjoyed this paperweight in my collection. But I have decided to sell it starting later today on ebay. I have to say I am not too happy to part with it, but I have a general price range together that I will be satisfied with. IF it sells in my start bid or buy it now range I will be happy and know a collector of fine pweights has it and will deal easier with the loss. The magnificence of it overshadows anything in my collection, so there comes a place and time you have to part. In the event it once again doesn't sell I'll be happy to place it back in my collection, permanently and know that it twice had it's chance at riding the ebay lightning bolt.lol
Thanks all,
Mark E.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 05:33:25 PM »
Don't forget to put a link to your auction into the Glass Market Place so we can check it out... :lol:
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline myweights

• Members
    • Gopaperweights.com
thanks Lynne!
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 06:11:33 PM »
There are nice people in this world!
I have link appropriately there now. :)
Thanks again, for helping keep me from posting it here like I was about to do... lol
Mark E.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand