Glass Identification - Post here for all ID requests > Glass Paperweights

Murano?

(1/2) > >>

lyndhurst44:
I purchased this paperweight today, it measures approx 7cms diameter and 5cms tall with a clear flat base, my impression is that it is Murano given my limited knowledge, do we concur!  :lol:

http://i2.tinypic.com/27z9baa.jpg

Many Thanks yet again,

Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

Derek:
Hi Bryn

You are correct - its Murano - I have several similar ones in my collections.

Interestingly if you look at the underside of this type of weight you will often see that a section of the set-up is raised although the top surface is even. I could understand this if it was odd canes here and there but not when its a complete area of the set-up.

Any glassmakers out there care to offer an explanation ??

Regards

Derek

THX1138:
Yes, it is Murano, but it may also be something a little bit more. There are (and were) quality Italian/Venetian glassmaking companies and I'm certain this weight is from one that, sadly, closed its doors last year.

The millefiori design, shape, and structure indicates this is the work of the much lamented firm of 3Fiori, which made excellent paperweights. Study the underside very closely for a hint of a signature, If there is one, it will read 3Fiori. Not every weight was signed, but this could be. You may have to tilt the weight in and out of the light to see the signature.

lyndhurst44:
Hi,
Sorry for the delay in replying the computer has been switched off since last evening. :oops:
I have searched high and low but have not been able to find any identifying mark. The weight is very clean without scratches so it should be easy to spot a name on the surface. However if it is concealed in amoungst the canes it might prove more difficult. Nothing to be seen on initial inspection though.
Thanks,
Bryn (not Brian)

"It's a minefield out there!" :mrgreen:  :wink:  :D

josordoni:
I have a 3Fiori weight with no signature either Bryn  :cry:

I keep looking in case it will magically appear overnight, but so far nada....

I really like it, it is sitting on my VAT return at this very moment.  (I do hate end of the quarter....)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version