No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness glassware  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Caithness glassware
« on: September 02, 2006, 10:51:53 PM »
As some of you may be aware, I am organsing catalogues of Caithness production. I have a complete lack of glassware, a few more pieces that are shown are still to go on and not everything on the original version is in the new.

I have been busy since yesterday getting to grips with some new tools and have shoe-horned a shop thingy into a catalogue.

New approach

Original approach <--- Mod: Dead link

Still got a lot of tweaking to do, overlapping text and things, but would appreciate feedback. I still have to figure out how to get more items on the individual pages. Some pics link to the old page... that will be corrected.

Those of you with positively attributable Caithness Glassware are welcome to send me some pictures to add, using the email button on the bottom of my posts. On a white background please and a couple of views: Profile, Base, Any others that would help to recognise. Also boxes, any original catalogues or other documents. All copyrights are mentioned. Thank you. :D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Caithness glassware
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 11:30:11 PM »
I've got a few labelled 1960s pieces kicking around, as well as a couple of boxed pieces from the last decade or so. I'll dig 'em out of the attic when I get chance. :)

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Caithness glassware
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 07:08:42 AM »
New approach is a big improvement:D
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Caithness glassware
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 07:28:34 AM »
New approach ticks my boxes as well Frank...

But it does look as though the things will be available to buy - I wonder how you can tweak it so that is less apparent?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Caithness glassware
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 09:23:22 AM »
Does look good, Frank and will make it far easier to search through. Want any graphics?

My one comment is one site design: I would make the table narrower as the window needs opening to 920+ pixels wide to view the content. I normally try and get any site to fit within 800 pixels (for anyone using 800x600 resolution).
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Caithness glassware
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 09:38:54 AM »
Hi Frank - the new approach looks great - a definite improvement on the old one. I've got a few Caithness bits and pieces that I need to reshoot (cos the old pics are rubbish!) some 60's and some more modern, I'll zip them up and email over when done, you're welcome to use any of them if you wish.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Caithness glassware
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 10:44:03 AM »
Thanks folks.

David I deliberately widened it, to allow two columns. Most visitors can cope, others can scroll right and still get access to most things.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Caithness glassware
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 11:34:40 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
David I deliberately widened it, to allow two columns. Most visitors can cope, others can scroll right and still get access to most things.

Fair enough, although it's not considered good practice to be honest. Something I always avoid - used to make sure my sites fitted into a 640-wide window once...  :shock:

Three columns should easily fit inside 800-wide though. See the links page on http://www.glassyeye.com - menu column, plus two links columns.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Caithness glassware
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 01:19:01 AM »
Frank, is it anything that Caithness made? My husband and I received a vase (about 8 inches) as a present, back in 1999 when we were in Scotland for a family wedding. If you're interested, I will borrow my sister's camera and take some pictures (think I've still got the box somewhere).

Carolyn

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Caithness glassware
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 01:41:52 PM »
Hi Carolyn, yes everything. Boxes and all. The intention is to make it as comprehensive as possible.

Is anyone out there researching or at least collecting significantly non paperweight Caithness :?:  :?:  :?:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand