No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Orange Swedish vase - identify please  (Read 4604 times)

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
Orange Swedish vase - identify please
« on: September 03, 2006, 06:40:09 AM »
Hi All
I FINALLY managed to get a good picture of the base of this vase. The only pontil marks I've seen are round, like a navel.

Is this a maker's mark, and if so whose please:
www.flickr.com/photos/59481749@N00/232454851/in/photostream/

Here it is showing the label:
www.flickr.com/photos/59481749@N00/232454852/in/photostream/

The mouth is more oval than in this photo:
www.flickr.com/photos/59481749@N00/232454850/in/photostream/

ta muchly

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »
Hi Deb  :D

I would say that the 2 most likely candidates are Aseda or Alsterfors, 1960's.
Hopefully someone will be able to add more information.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 05:07:30 AM »
Hi Deltab
I've been mostly out of it with a nasty two part flu (last month of winter here), so I am getting around to sorting out my email.

Thanks for your help, but does anyone know if the mark on the base a pontil or a signature, please?

Deb

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 09:46:03 AM »
I've seen this design of vase described as "Catinka",  from Elme Glasbruk, Sweden.
Anne E.B

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:14:13 AM »
It certainly looks like it - thank you!! And I discovered ebay in Swedish - as if the Anglo versions weren't enough.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 02:38:27 PM »
Hi

Any chance of a good clear close up of the actual label with as much of the lettering as possible.

It seems very plain for Alsterfors and they never had this marking to the base, they did do palette style vases (famous UFO vase) but not that often. Aseda - did they do any palette style (white inner)?

It could be one of many companies that followed Holmegaard.

Looking at my small database of Elme pieces the shape and style tracks so that could be a possibility Anne - they tended to use gold export labels as well - the base markings are important then, can anyone else with an Elme vase confirm this moulded base?

I have no Elme

All just IMO

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 02:47:57 PM »
Hi Adam,  :)
Yes, Aseda did do white inners, shown on pg. 36 Fire & Sea, along with Alsterfors and Orrefors, also pictured.
Lindshammer also made vases with white inners.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 04:03:43 PM »
Adam - for interest,  these are my Elme pieces
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/GlassbyElmeSweden.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/glassie/glass008.jpg

Two have the George Hardy stickers on (black print on silver and gold on green), and two also have a small round orangey sticker with MADE IN SWEDEN in red.

Sorry, unable to photograph the bases.  Currently packed safely away ready to go in storage.  However, they do not have a pontil mark.

Mod: Important Note. As at 19 May 2020, a thread by Wayne advises that George Hardy was not the importer of various glass items as has been stated in threads within the GMB. The correct importer name is Hans Geismar.
Anne E.B

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 06:53:06 AM »
The label is so worn you'd just about need a microscope to read it, and I don't think my happy snaps camera will get in close enough.

However I will try to describe what I see. I think it was once oval. The background of the label is matt gold, with a fine shiny 'bright' gold line maybe 1mm thick around the edge. The lettering is also 'bright', in sans serif capital letters. All that's left is:
MADE
IN (partly obscured by a scratch)
SW ....

The label isn't anything like the one I found at Tradera.com, but I didn't know the label itself would mean anything. Also the casing around the mouth seems thicker on mine, but it could be the angle of the Tradera pic.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2006, 06:58:41 AM »
This is the label that is on an Aseda vase that I have.

:shock: Click to enlarge :shock:

Does your label resemble this one, Deb?

EDIT: I don't think it is from your description. The one I think that you are referring to, can be found on pg. 193 of Smoke & Ice or pg. 245 of Fire & Sea (both books by Leslie Pina & Lorenzo Vigier), however they do not give an indication of which factory may have used it. Sorry.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand