No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Stratford marks  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart Stratford marks
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
sincere thanks to those people who replied and offered advice regarding the Gulliver volumes - although it looks like I shall have to go on wishing for them at the moment (I've given up paying mortgages - or at least thought I had ;)).

I have five of these tumblers (4" in height), in green, all of which are unmarked, completely - and all of which have a large ground/polished pontil, which seems to have been typical of Stuart.       Do people think there is any way of knowing whether the flat bottomed examples are earlier or later than those with a pontil depression - or might they have co-existed?           From what I can see, most pieces carrying known early Stuart marks seem to show pontil depressions (the remainder being star cut bases).

It may be worth commenting - should there be the remotest chance of confusion for the less knowledgable like myself - that on rare occasions it is possible to see an upper case S which has nothing to do with Stonier/Stuart.
Just rarely, the 'S' (for Stourbridge), which forms the central part of the circular backstamp for Webb Corbett - remains more visible than the remainder of the mark  -  giving the impression that the piece carries just the letter 'S'.          However, a careful look should reveal at least part of the words of the rest of the mark (which I understand was used during the late 1940's).

My large cut bowl with an S must have been a b......... to have sneaked into someone's pocket, as they departed the vessel after their cruise ;D

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 01:54:14 PM »
Paul quite a few Whitefriars pocket size paperweights have it .

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 12:03:47 PM »
Paul said:
Something else that has previously come out of these discussions, concerns the three volume work - printed privately by Gulliver, giving details of all the Stuart designs

This needs correcting, but I realise it has been gleaned from other posts  :)

Firstly, there are four extra volumes in addition to the original book by Gulliver, and secondly, it is not all the Stuart designs, since all the volumes are under the general title Victorian Decorative Glass British Designs 1850-1914. The four volumes have chapters 1 to 16 running acroos them. Thus Volume 2 includes a number of headings plus chapter 1; Volume 3, chapter 2 to 15; etc.

They were published by Mervyn Gulliver in 2004 and were print on demand, from memory £65.00 each, or £240.00 for the four.

Nigel

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
Is this a "new you" (nigel b) Nigel?  ;)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:17:25 PM »
I'm waiting for a call back from Broadfield House Museum, but does anyone know if they hold the Gulliver's additional volumes so I can look at them? c.1900-1910 patterns -  or if they have the Stuart Pattern books available at Broadfield House to be looked at.
I'm making a rather lengthy journey to get there in a few weeks time, and just wanted to know if it is going to be fairly easy to be able to see the pattern books of Stuart and Webb really. Or are they going to have to be brought in from Himley Hall?
Thanks for any help
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand