No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Did W/F make tiny blown soda vases?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Did W/F make tiny blown soda vases?
« on: September 05, 2006, 12:25:55 AM »
I've got these two little purple glass vases - both with a fair amount of age related wear to the bases and very dirty when brought home originally.  Now what I'd like to know is did Whitefriars make tiny little blown soda vases?  They look similar to the blown soda range and they've got the trademark ground down pontils but I've not been able to find them in any of the catalogues.  If not, does anyone have any idea who might have made them? They measure just under 3.5in/9cm tall - TIA :-)

front view
rim
bases

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 07:00:50 AM »
Don't know but I've seen quite a few of these (or similar one's) around in the same colour. It had a pontil and the glass was all rippled which put me off thinking it was Whitefriars or Riihimaki.

I once saw them grouped together in what looked like a modern cardboard box.  :(
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 09:13:18 AM »
Thanks for your input TC however these were just too dirty to be modern and there is a fair amount of base ware too.  They're not rippled either (perhaps that's my dodgy photo!).  If you look at the picture of them together you can see that one is much thicker cased than the other and they're not exactly the same height so I'm thinking they're not mass produced but I'm often wrong so I'll keep an open mind :-)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 03:24:19 PM »
Whitefriars did make small soda vases similar to these - see page 4 of the 1964 catalogue - and I have had a few of them myself.  Yours do not look like W/F though...the neck looks too short and wide ...see the pics in the catalogue,  it may be the angle of your photo of course which is distorting the neck shape only you can tell! Emmi

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 04:25:28 PM »
Cheers for the info Emmi, much appreciated - I'll have a good nosey at the 1964 catalogue as suggested.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 07:08:06 PM »
I've handled two pieces of the Soda range and I was under the impression that these are all made with very thin glass?

The one I saw (unboxed) in a charity shop had ripples in the glass, I didn't mean your vase, sorry.

I think the one in the charity shop did have a bit of ware to the base and was dirty. I did not examine the boxed one's that I found to see if they were similar, I just presumed they were the same.  :roll:

I think the box came with 6 or more vases.

Sorry, I can't be of more help.  :(
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 07:40:42 PM »
Quote from: "Tigerchips"
I've handled two pieces of the Soda range and I was under the impression that these are all made with very thin glass?

Hmmm that's interesting because I'd say the opposite - I have two soda vases - one is grey and the other (bought recently) is a 1972 streaky and I'd describe both as thick glass (neither are rippled either)  :?  I've put the grey one somewhere safe and subsequently can't find it (!) but I know exactly where the streaky one is - I'll post a photograph of it on here later with dimensions.  Cheers....

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 08:13:32 AM »
Thepiece I was looking at recently was thin glass.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 10:38:14 PM »
It seems to depend a lot on the particular pattern shape. I have some examples of Whitefriars soda glass which vary from very thin, and some which whilst could not be described as thick,   is very substantial.  Emmi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand