No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian Sabino Vanity Bowl  (Read 3302 times)

Offline marg44

• Members
Victorian Sabino Vanity Bowl
« on: September 05, 2006, 01:47:46 PM »
I've been told this is a Sabino vanity or pin bowl.Does anyone know how old it might be? It is not marked. Is the Sabino pieces marked? It measures 4 2/4" across.Also would anyone know aprox. the value? I'am thinking about putting it on ebay and I don't know how much to start the bidding.Thanks for any help.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d45/bygeorgebears/bowl0012.jpg

Moderator:  Large image converted to link

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 03:42:54 PM »
If real then the bowl would be anytime between the 1920s and 1975; the mounting however is a complete kitschy mismatch of various styles and I think it detracts greatly from the value of the bowl. If it were mine I'd rip off the (I guess fifties) metal and porcelain even if it meant exposing a damaged rim. But don't do anything drastic based on one opinion only - there may be other angles to this.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 05:48:41 PM »
It does look really odd, the two styles just DON'T match.

It's like someone in the 30s gave their granny the Sabino bowl, and they wanted it to match their older Victorian stuff, so gave it a going over....bet they were all proud of their handiwork afterwards...

But not to anyone's taste now surely?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Connie

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 05:52:54 PM »
I wouldn't rip off the trim yet.

I have seen at least 2 other bowls very similar with the gilt ormulou edge and a cameo or other medallion mounted on the edge.

Neither belonged to me and I have never seen them identified. They belonged to friends of mine and were posted on my glass id board several years ago.

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 06:45:07 PM »
If French, perhaps the porcelain is made by someone in Limoges?

Just out of curiousity, is the porcelain hand painted or transfer printed?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline B & M

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 07:40:05 PM »
Certainly not all Sabino is signed, particularly earlier pieces, though I don't immediately recognise your item as a Sabino pattern. Certainly a number of firms produced opalescent glass in this style.

Regarding the mounts, I too have seen a number of bowls with this metal rim, etc., both floral designs like yours and a design consisting of 3 birds. Interestingly all have turned up in the US. I wonder if they were added by an importer or retailer? I also recall seeing mould blown vases with similar innappropriate mounts.

I quite agree with Ivo about the kitsch mismatch of styles; the metal mount really detracts from the item, while it might have originally been sold like this, it is deeply unfashionable now and I feel that the bowl would sell much better without it.

Steven

Offline marg44

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 11:20:38 PM »
I did find something wrote on it. I can't tell if it is three initals then France or it says made in France. I don't know if the cameo is hand painted or transfer. How do I tell the difference? There is a lady on another board who said she had a bowl like this several years ago and no one was ever able to id it.

Offline marg44

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2006, 02:39:35 AM »
I found this exact same bowl on ruby lane. They call it French Opalescent Ormolu Tray. Thanks to all who tried to help me.

Connie

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2006, 11:29:48 AM »
JMHO and impression from seeing several of these over the years.

I do not think they are Victorian.  I think they are later and are "renaissance" pieces.  They could be from the 1950s,60s when "French Provincial" became in vogue in the US for bedrooms.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand