No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stuart Crystal wine glasses signed  (Read 874 times)

Offline Christophers75

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • West Midlands
Stuart Crystal wine glasses signed
« on: October 23, 2021, 02:14:12 PM »
Hello all I’m Christopher and new to this forum .Would any of you kind souls please help me with these set of 4 wine glasses I have there Stuart marked but one is also signed ? I would like to know the model name and year and if at all the value thank you

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Stuart Crystal wine glasses signed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2021, 03:31:01 PM »
hello Christopher - welcome to the GMB.        Starting with your final question, regret to say it's policy here that we don't provide values - it's too personal an issue as to what a piece of glass might be worth, and problems could arise if the sale figure didn't match a value we'd provided.      Glass has a diverse value to all people, and our suggestion is to look at on-line auction sites where you may find prices realized for very similar or identical pieces. 

I'm not quite sure what to make of what appears to be the signature of a very important in-house designer by the name of Kny.     Ludwig Kny was the chief designer for Stuart from c. 1918 and was responsible for many of the well known cut glass patterns between WW I and II.           Do you consider this to be a genuine signature that's been inscribed into the glass with a stylus or similar, or is it an acid badged effect?

Unfortunately, your pix are a tad small, and I can't see the design clearly enough to match with similar in the books  -  suggest you post one or two more pix with a first dimension size of c. 700 if possible please.
Specific dating of your glasses is probably a non-starter  -  as mentioned some of the popular designs were made over many decades, though we may possible be able to help as to when the design first saw the light of day.

Sorry this is rather vague for your first outing  -  look forward to seeing some more pix. :)          P.S.     In the meantime you might try looking at the Replacementsdotcom site at their Crystal section  -  most of the C20 glass houses are represented, and you should see a surprisingly large selection of designs under the Stuart name.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Stuart Crystal wine glasses signed
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2021, 04:52:49 PM »
Hello Christopher and welcome to the board. You may like to check your glasses against the Stuart catalogue in our GlassGallery here as well -
http://www.yobunny.org.uk/glassgallery/thumbnails.php?album=938

I'd also second Paul's comment about the images being a bit small. I'd suggest you aim for around 600 or 700 pixels along the longest edge, which should then still fit our image limits. If you need help in resizing them please see my Techie Tips post here http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html, or if you are still stuck email me copies of them full size and I'll resize and add them for you. support @ glassmessages.com will reach me if you close up the spaces.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand