No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian = Tora Pors, i Kalmar  (Read 15691 times)

Sklounion

CENEDESE or Scandinavian??? = Tora Pors, i Kalmar
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »
Rough translation only.....
The vase is probably fabrication from Kalmar glasbruk and designer  Tora Pos, worked Kalmar glasbruk 1947 to 1954. She was working often herself in studio and using a technique with coloured glass powder direct on to the heated glass , working so that the colour is infused. Pattern of vase called "myrica" after a friend. Technique is known as glavering after its creator Arnold Glave.
Marcus

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 09:47:01 PM »
I would just add that after the colour decoration was added,  a new clear glass coat was administered.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2005, 10:08:17 PM »
Quote from: "taylog1"
Do you think this looks similar ?

Hello Taylog1,
I have to say that vase looks very similar to my bowl.
Can you give me the link to that Swedish message board?
I would be interested to know if there are more samples of the Artist!  

Do you know, or would anyone know if the technique used causes tiny bubbles in the powder colors? I mention this because if the reaction is the same it could be by this artist, Tora Pos, and the same technique before mentioned!

Here's a close up!

Wow, I might be close to finding out who it is by! I'm really surprised that it could be that old. My guess would have been 60's. Thank you all for this new information!
.... and translation Marcus!  :wink:

Oh and tmaritta... Do you know much about the artist or technique?
Any info is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 09:36:18 AM »
http://www.antikviteter.net/antikprat/

select <glas>, then <KonstGlas>.

All in swedish

Regards

Taylog1

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2005, 06:16:39 PM »
Hi Taylog1,
Thanks for the link! I couldnt understand anything when I logged on but I did manage to send an email, I think?  :?
Guess I'll find out soon.... I emailed the moderator? maybe ot was the moderator, lol, and let him know in English about the piece. Hopefully I wasnt rude by writting in English and someone can translate it for them. I did see 2 posts that were done in English, but they had no replies.

Tried to do a search for "Tora Pos," but didnt get anything that I could read. I'll try searching for "Kalmar glasbruk"

Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »
The bubbles are likely to be caused by imprities in the ground enamels either from careless storage/use or even intentional. It is fairly common in cased enamel coloured hand blown shaped glass. But Adam (aa) can probably give even more reasons...

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2005, 06:53:47 PM »
Hi Frank!
I was just wondering if it was done on purpose, and if it was part of this particular technique. I've seen something similar with Seguso's "Pulveri" pieces, but there you can actually see the powders and no bubbles. In this piece you see mostly the colors not the powder particles.... I know, I know its another technical question, lol, but as an artist myself, I'm interested in all that stuff  :D

I do want this talk to be more about the Artist than the techniques.
At 1 point I wanted to sell it, but now I would actually like to see more of the artist and maybe collect it!  
Thanks!
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Anonymous

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2005, 08:26:47 PM »
Svazzo's bowl looks a lot heavier and thicker than Taylog's vase.  Dunno, but the bowl looks Italian to me, and Cenedese is a very good guess.  Javier, is it finely made like Scandinavian, or more lumpy and irregular like Murano glass?

I have a feeling that this is a piece that might never get a definative attribution. In any case, I really like both pieces posted, so if not knowing who made them is driving you crazy, feel free to send them here.

Laura
http://planetglass.net/

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2005, 08:49:57 PM »
Hi Laura,
Glad to have you on this topic!
The piece is very thick and heavy for its size. It measures 6" long.
Have you handled anything similar in the past?
Any experience with Tora Pos?
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2005, 08:58:16 PM »
Hi Javier,

It's as much the shape as anything that makes me think it might be Italian.

However, both of the other items shown are remarkably similar in their internal decoration. It's too bad you can't find a piece in person to compare your bowl to. Sometimes comparing the "feel" of the glass of different items can give a lot of clues.

I am not familiar with the Scandi maker, but it certainly bears looking into. Perhaps there is an active factory somewhere who you can ask? Or a collector of these items?  Let us know if your query to the Scandi website yields any results.

Laura

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand