No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian = Tora Pors, i Kalmar  (Read 15690 times)

Offline tmaritta

• Members
CENEDESE or Scandinavian??? = Tora Pors, i Kalmar
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2005, 09:19:46 PM »
Quote from: "svazzo"
Hi Frank!
I was just wondering if it was done on purpose, and if it was part of this particular technique. I've seen something similar with Seguso's "Pulveri" pieces, but there you can actually see the powders and no bubbles. In this piece you see mostly the colors not the powder particles.... I know, I know its another technical question, lol, but as an artist myself, I'm interested in all that stuff  :D

I do want this talk to be more about the Artist than the techniques.
At 1 point I wanted to sell it, but now I would actually like to see more of the artist and maybe collect it!  
Thanks!
Javier

Well, actually the swedish description does not mention powder, but speaks about colorful glass treads or sticks (glasstavar, whereas powder is pulver in swedish) that were applied to the clear glass.  However, my swedish is very rusty and I only have online dictionary for help.  So I don't know if that makes any sense?

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2005, 09:23:34 PM »
Hi again Laura,
I still have that gut feeling that says this piece is Italian, but the Vase posted by taylog1 looks very similar.

It would be increadible if I could have the 2 pieces side by side and inspect the decoration and the actual color of the glass. I know it is very hard to know for sure in pictures, but the vase posted has an orangy-pink tint, and my bowl has more of a clear smoky feel. Just to mention it, since we all know artists play aound with colors all the time.
Also noticed a difference in the decoration itself. It looks like the vase has both yellow and orange swirls ovelaping, where in my bowl the 2 colors are purposely separate.

The Vase (link) that Peter posted has a wildly abstracted decoration, where mine has , I would say a more "controlled" abstraction, if that makes sence...

Javier

P.S.
Laura! Cant believe you won the Toso Swirl vase for $1.
Where you distracting me??? :lol:  :wink:
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2005, 09:51:58 PM »
I think glass sticks? is right for Javiers vase. I had been looking at the close-up and the lining would certainly make powder unlikely.

It would probably have had some marvering which is a commonly leads to picking up frit but that tends to show up more as specks. Also the variations in the type of glass can lead to bubbling when casing. That they are so fine on your piece is an indication of the glassmakers skill.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2005, 09:59:42 PM »
Thank you for that information Frank!

The little bubbled effect is only on the Blue color, the Purple doesnt have it.
I also tried to take a photo as close as possible and where it was more prevalent. I am really glad to hear you say the piece was done by a very skilled glassmaker!
Thanks again!
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Anonymous

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2005, 10:29:16 PM »
Hi Javier,

Yes, I was only here to distract you from the Fratelli Toso vase.  :twisted:

Just kidding. Actually, the vase (a cased piece with external swirls of color) is not my favorite. But, for a dollar, I just couldn't pass it up!  Javier, where you tracking it, or just keeping tabs on my recent purchases.  :wink:  If you were checking up on me, did you see the two early Fratelli Toso vases I bought a few weeks ago? Those are fab!

I have been unable to log into ebay today, and had to use esnipe to win the vase. Is anyone else having ebay problems?

Laura

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2005, 10:40:16 PM »
Hi Laura.
I was trakcing it. I'll email you bout it.
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2005, 03:58:46 AM »
Hi again Everyone!
I have a bit of news, although not much....
I contacted Hans Björkman, who posted the Tora Pos vase on the web (link above - page 2), and actually got a response!!! Thank you Hans!

He told me that he doesn't know much English or about glass, but that he was going to contact (forward my email) to a friend of his that knows more. Apparently this person is an authority on Swedish glass, but Hans doesn't know if he speaks English. :(

Basically if I get a response it will be in Swedish, or he won't know what I wrote to him. It all rests on a translation... I knew I should have taken more language classes at school!!!!
Hopefully he will respond! :D

Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Tora Pors!
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2005, 09:43:04 AM »
The Winner is?????   :!: taylog1 :!:

Excellent news! I was just contacted by Hans' friend and he tells me that the bowl I have is in fact by Tora Pors!

This was the response:
"Your bowl is designed by Tora Pors and made i Kalmar glass factory around 1950.
She was designer for this factory around this year 1947 – 1954. The stile of this glasses was called ”MYRICA”."

I am so happy for all the help, and the interest taken in the post! Thank you for all the messages. Also to the help of taylog1 for finding that 1st photo, and to Hans and Börje who confirmed it! Can't thank them enough for going out of their way to offer their help!

This gives me hope for my other 2 mystery pieces floating around here, lol.  :D 
Thanks!
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2005, 10:06:59 PM »
http://www.tfaoi.com/aa/4aa/4aa204.htm
http://www.trocadero.com/toobiltd/items/86788/item86788store.html#item

The links show work by Richard Jolley using a similar technique. I used this myself with very different results, in the late eighties and early nineties.

The decoration is done by drawing fine single colour canes which are about 3-4mm diameter. You then use these to “draw” on the surface of the glass by using a propane or oxy-propane torch to melt the tip of the cane onto the surface. You do risk burning yourself! Richard Jolley and William Bernstein in the US became the major masters doing this sort of work.

The tiny bubbles on the piece you’ve been researching could have been the result of a number of reasons:

-the canes may not have been marvered into the surface completely, before casing with clear glass
- similarly there may have been some fine particles of glass powder on the marver.
- alternatively it may be that the coloured canes were actually drawn from clear glass coated with powdered colour rather than drawing them from solid colour rods. One might assume this if there is a noticeable variation of colour running along the length of the cane, but it is one of those things that after the event is very difficult to judge.

I’ve never heard them referred to as sticks. We call them canes, which will probably offend the paperweight devotees,  :) but in fact the technique is similar to lampwork. Some people call them threads as can be seen in the first link.
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand