No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old French Millefiori with Rose and hidden rose canes - ID?  (Read 1019 times)

Offline SimonD

• Members
Old French Millefiori with Rose and hidden rose canes - ID?
« on: December 06, 2021, 12:11:30 PM »
People interested in classic era millefiori paperweights with rose canes may be able to help me identify this paperweight. It measures 2.4 inches diameter, 1.75 inches high, and has a four row concentric design, with a large rose cane in the centre. The inner-most ring of blue canes have a hidden rose cane at its centre.

I'm a little out of touch with the contemporary thinking on such weights, but would probably opt for "St Mandé" - a completely uneducated guess. Does anyone recognise the canes / roses here, and can suggest which factory made it?

Regards
Simon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
Re: Old French Millefiori with Rose and hidden rose canes - ID?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »
Not a rose cane but more like a pompon. The weight is I believe a St Mande.  Nice find!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline SimonD

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2021, 10:16:32 AM »
Thanks 'mildawg' - you're quite right, it's a pompom in the middle!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline donaldf

• Members
  • I have a soft spot for St Mande / Grenelle
    • Antique French
    • England
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 08:09:53 PM »
A very nice St Mandé weight. And I do think that the centre of the blue cane is a hidden rose. It is a pale white rose. I have a few weights with this ephemeral rose both as a single cane and as a ‘hidden rose’ as part of a complex cane

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand