No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: French Pressed Glass  (Read 2838 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
French Pressed Glass
« on: September 06, 2006, 05:30:01 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Carrillo glass?  This is a pretty little bowl, approx 6 ins diameter, pressed glass, with an opal section to the base, the rest of the glass is very pale blue.

I've put pics up in the Gallery including a close up of the signature, I'd love to know roughly how old it is, I have only found one Google reference to Carrillo, suggesting it is art deco around the same time as Sabino and Lalique, but I am not sure how well it is viewed? The rim is very badly finished, it has a few fleabites, but I wonder if it would look better if it was ground rather than have the little rim mould line on it?

this is the first picture, then there are other views for the next three images (assuming I have sorted them properly...)
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3139

If anyone needs to see anything closer up, I can put some supersized images on my own website, but I am trying to get in the habit of putting most stuff in the proper gallery so it doesn't get lost!
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline B & M

• Members
French Pressed Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 06:17:51 PM »
I can't add a great deal about Carrillo, it is a name I have been looking into for some time but I can find few references. Having handled a few, I'm certain the Carrillo pieces date from the 1920's or 30's; there seems to be a resonable range of items, I recently had a tall vase with a stylised leaf design with this mark and have seen various patterns of bowls. The only colours I have seen are opal and a greyish tinted clear glass, very similar to that made by other French makers of the time.

Carrillo pieces don't tend to fetch huge prices, I suspect largely because few people are familiar with the mark. In my opinion, they are nice quality, equally as good as their better known contemporaries. This item will have more appeal being in opal glass, however.

Regarding the rim, I personally would rather see it with honest nibbles/ wear & tear rather than ground. Grinding would affect the proportions and remove the original rim finishing.

Steven

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
French Pressed Glass
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 06:20:51 PM »
Thanks Steven, the problem with the rim is I don't like the original finishing!!!

But you are right, better honest than mended really.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
French Pressed Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 07:13:01 PM »
Quote from: "B & M"
....very similar to that made by other French makers of the time.  

It is not very probably that Carrillo was a glass maker as the name is absent from all relevant industry publications; he may have been a retailer of lamps and lighting or furniture, or an independent designer.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
French Pressed Glass
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 09:51:02 PM »
Ivo, you'd think there'd be SOMETHING about them online though wouldn't you?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
French Pressed Glass
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 06:09:38 AM »
not really - I would not expect such obscure trade info to be online.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand