No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Webb Uranium Green Bowl  (Read 1423 times)

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Webb Uranium Green Bowl
« on: January 08, 2022, 06:04:24 PM »
I bought this online because it had a hint of a green glow and the seller said it was made in England but couldn't decipher the maker. It actually has the "Made in England Webb" mark for 1935-49 but I'd think it is 1930's, and has a 9" diameter. I can't as yet say which pattern it is, it has petals around the centre spreading out to circles, ovals and lozenge shapes.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Webb Uranium Green Bowl
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 09:54:05 PM »
is this another of the ' is it honeycomb or fircone' items maybe?]
There are a number of Webb patterns in the back of CH British Glass 20th Century iirc.
And much debate has been had on the board about the various mold/pattern names and what they look like in reality.

m

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 10:14:29 AM »
Thanks m, I think it probably is what's what's referred to as "fircone" pattern but I can't find another to compare it to except one on Ebay which is wrongly called "Venetian ripple". I'll have to look out for one of the books on 20thC. glass to investigate it. I did find this site though which is interesting.

https://www.discontinueddesigns.co.uk/product-category/thomas-webb/

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 03:14:28 PM »
I'd agree with m  -  am sure this will turn out to be either fircone or honeycomb.             Venetian Ripple makes me think of an ice cream  -  is there a T/W pattern with that name  -  can't see it in Hajdamach's book  -  did I miss it?                 Agree some of these patterns difficult to id  -  they stretch on bowls in particular and distort.             Nice piece though - good find.

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2022, 06:11:56 PM »
Thanks Paul, there are a few pieces online identified as "Venetian Ripple" but where that comes from I don't know. I've added another photo to perhaps better show the central pattern, although it's not easy to photo. It is a nice piece and rings like a bell.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 12:09:12 AM »
Sorry to butt in, can I presume this is also Webb then  ;D

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 09:53:24 AM »
You've got me there Keith, is it Webb or is it Walsh?

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 02:25:02 PM »
Hadn't thought of Walsh, did they do stuff like this ?  ::) ;D

Online NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2022, 06:23:07 PM »
I'm not sure now, most likely Webb "honeycomb". I assume it's a tumbler/beaker?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2022, 06:42:39 PM »
I thought it was a bucket vase ;D.          I though Keith was our TW expert ;)         If you look in Reynolds book - page 48 bottom line left hand picture pl. 38 - there's a yellow (uranium??) vase which has a similar quilted type pattern.             I also didn't know Walsh did this sort of thing, and indeed it may not be really similar to Keith's vase - unfortunately the picture quality in Reynolds is poor.
I did wonder if Keith's might have been Richardson, but think the amethyst/purple colour isn't deep enough for them.
Does the colour of Keith's piece match any of the colours in the T.W. thread we started some years back?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand