No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Marks Collection - Free download  (Read 6368 times)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Glass Marks Collection - Free download
« on: September 07, 2006, 06:03:15 PM »
Good day all,

If anyone is interested in having a copy of my glass marks collection;  There are two folders (Finished) & (Needs info) which I have compressed into the two most common file compression formats .ZIP and .RAR, then uploaded the files to a storage\share site, where they may be downloaded for FREE of course.

Note:  I am using a Windows PC to do this and have no idea how it would be done for Apple\Mac based systems.

The small grayscale images download very fast,

990.04 KB (1013803 Bytes) for the .ZIP file.

972.40 KB (995736 Bytes) for the .RAR file.

The choice of which to download (.ZIP or .RAR) will depend on which one of these file compression\extracting software programs is installed on your computer. I believe most Windows based systems come equipped to handle the .ZIP format and some folks just upgrade that to the .RAR format, because it produces smaller size files of the same quality.

To be on the safe side you should scan any downloaded file with your anti-virus program before you do anything with it. I personally know these files are safe on my computer, but I have no way to protect them once they are uploaded to where they are to be downloaded from, so I always recommend that people do this with any file they download, no matter how safe they believe it is or are told it is.

The links I had posted here are not working, because of problems the site is having, so I have removed them. To get a copy of the files please scroll down to the post with the email instructions.

Sorry for the inconvenience. --- Mike

Once the file type of your choice is downloaded and scanned for safety you must double click on that file and use the [Extract to] feature to tell your system where you would like to store and access the image files from.

The marks in these files are the type that are pressed into the glass, I am not working with those which are engraved, etched or painted on. If one happens to have any information they would care to share on these marks, or share some marks I don't have;  please feel free to send an email with "Glass Mark" in the subject to anewp@indy.rr.com

I'm not looking for the history of the glass company, only the glass company name and dates when the marks were used is all. Anyone who cares to use these marks for their own purpose, which includes posting them in forums or displaying them on their personal websites is free to do so, without crediting me. In those venues is where the history etc., can be added by the authors\moderators etc.

From time to time I will be updating and adding glass marks and will make them available in separate update downloads.

Enjoy and please share. --- Mike

Edited to remove non-working links.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 08:04:41 PM »
Great work, these are not the usual suspects but a worthy addition to the knowledge base - thank you!

re unidentified marks:

"Needs Info 3" = Sachsenglas
"On Satinglass with 280"= Schreiber & Neffen

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 08:44:39 PM »
Thank You once more Ivo,

Clearing up 2 unidentified marks on the same day is rare for me.

I found an interesting site on Sachsenglas

http://www.glasax.de/files/history.html

And now I have to do the same for Schreiber & Neffen.

Again, thank you very much. for your help --- Mike

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 08:53:23 PM »
Great work indeed! :D

There is one that you're welcome to take from my own site (www.chanceglass.net) which is unusual in that it's always on the inside of the bowl in the centre, not on the underside.

Seen on Waverley, Gossamer, Lancer patterns.

The second is at a slight angle to get the lighting correct, but mail me if you need a clearer or larger photo.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 09:24:50 PM »
Thank you for the generous offer David,

I am pretty certain that the Chance mark is included the collection already. You wouldn't happen to know the time frame (dates) when the mark first began being used etc. would you? --- Mike

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »
You're right :roll:

I've found it now, can't understand why I missed it first time.

Time scale would be 1949 (Waverley), 1950 (Lancer) and 1951 (Gossamer), with some of the patterns produced until 1953.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline butchiedog

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 09:59:32 PM »
Thaniks again David,

I too sometimes miss something I'm looking for in that group lol! I might scroll through it more than once and somehow just not see it.  Makes me nervous, wondering if I accidentally deleted something, but then suddenly there it is???. --- Mike

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 10:43:05 PM »
I'm getting a message that the zip file has expired :(

This is the message I'm getting:

Shared File is no longer available.

Shared File link has expired. Please contact a person who has shared this file with you to gain access to this file.

Please Note: All shared file links expire after 10 days.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 11:48:56 PM »
Mike, thank you, this is a great collection. I think it would be useful to add the labels to the GlassGallery labels album as well if that's OK with you - we're trying to build up a really good reference collection on there:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=15
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 06:40:17 AM »
Hi Mike,
I have had your glass makers marks page added to my favourites since you first made us aware of it, months ago. I have made quite a bit of use of it and would like to thank you for your generosity. Sharing is quite rewarding isn't it?  :lol:  :lol:
I have also tried to download to .zip version and have never been able to, but am wondering if it is because both of the links on your 'About Me' page both have the same URL, ending in RAR.rar.html even though the headings are different. Forgive me if I am wrong, but computers aren't one of my strong points.  :oops:
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand